Tried something new

8SteelTown

I was itching to get out for a dog hunt even though I go once a week. Went to a spot I know holds a good supply of dogs. Got in real early and made a stand. First light did a locator howl and no responses. Did some cottontail distress with my FoxPro blackjack decoy out in a field. Nothing. Moved to another same deal. 4 stands, no takers. Figured that they have never come in on calls at this spot. Decided to post up and see what came through. Sat in a great vantage point spot for 2 hours and saw a set of 3 dogs at 500 yards walking a dirt path. Did some cottontail and they didn't even stop. Looked and kept walkin. Sat some more. 30 minutes later a set of 2 come on the same path but a little closer. Aimed and let out a bark and they both stopped. Took my shot. Missed at 489. One shot up the hill behind and couldn't see where the second went. Second shot at the dog that ran. Missed at 550. Need some time on the range apparently. I think I was just spaced and rushing thinking about dropping my first dog. I hate when my head gets in the way.

Yeah I know. I ain't no TaftHunter with my rifle. Jerks. Jk. Probably only shot 40 rounds in my whole life. Hard when you haven't been doing it for a while. Weird to have so many dogs in a spot but they don't come in to calls.

Longest shot I've killed a yote was like 360 yards. But I have a few spots where we see them all the time, but they just get smart. Usually I use coy pup distress when they ignore me

It's be nice if I could bring them into shotgun range. Just keep trying. I'll have to figure it out eventually.

Yeah... I know. It is what it is. Learning the sport by research and trial and error. They never even saw me and it's a big area. They use the path like a highway to get from den to food. No matter how much of a break I give the place, the dogs just act the same. Have to think the spot out better next time.

Steel...... If you want me to drop them dogs at long range for u I will ;)

Coyotes are very smart. If you are doing the same thing every time you call an area they will have you figured out. You only need to call an area a few times and they will learn quickly that that sound means to stay away. If you shoot at them and miss they learn very fast.

I hear you LP. That's why I sat for 2.5 hours and just watched. Used a hand call and squeaker I've never used in the area to try to grab their attention. We've thrown almost every Western Rivers, FoxPro, and hand call sound possible at these dogs. Seems like a night hunt or sit-and-wait are the only options. I've given the spot a 2.5 month rest. Almost every time I came back to different den locations and the spot is not conducive when the dens move in a certain direction. Thanks for the thoughts fellas. Going somewhere else this morning to go see if I can call one in to my Remi 870.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu