Trout Fishing

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Now that my boy is able to fish on his own a little, I'm planning a trip up to the Sierras next week. I usually make a trip to Convict but I haven't heard a whole lot of fishing reports from the Sierras. Anyone have any tips on where we should go? We are going to tent camp and fish for a few days and check out the hatchery and other cool places in the area.

Upper Owens browns camp! null_zpsebfb69e5.png

That's 1/3rd of em, out of 3 of us. It's like that almost everyday

I got back last Wednesday night from a 6day trip at June Lake. Had a blast (as I always do) but weather wasn't the greatest while we were there, full moon, winds and couple cloudy cold days. Our best fishing was in the streams cause of the winds. This was the first time that I've ever been up there and never once got up early to go fishing and we still did well. If you want your boy to have a good time and stay interested then check the dfg website and found out what weeks they plan to stock Mammoth Ck or Deadman Ck, you could slaughter them on salmon eggs or crappie jigs. Convict is nice but the creek could be tough for a kid just learning being its narrow with lots of trees. We made the drive up to Sonora Pass to check out the W. Walker River close to the Marine Base, killed them there with about an hr left to fish. This is what we kept and the big one(4#) my boys friend caught on his second cast after reeling one in on his first cast. He has never been to the Sierra's and caught this fish plus a 2# rainbow and a decent brown out of Saddlebag.
photo_zpsbc8986df.jpg

That is just flat out cool OC. Way to get those kids out there and get it done!

Camped the 23-30 at twin lakes in mammoth. This is hands down best trout fishing I have ever seen. Goto upper twin hike to the waterfalls fish garlic chunky cheese gulp till 10 am then switch to pautzkes deluxe eggs. This method slayed um I caught easily 300 fish in 6 days. Mostly small fish but when u pick through um there's some dandys.my biggest was 4lb. Also flouro 2lb leader was key. Also check out rock creek lake great place good fishing and there's just something about standing in a creek dumping into a lake in the sierras . Also a proud moment in a fathers life as my 18 month old caught her first fish after that we couldn't get the rod out of her hands

Great post WSM! Glad to see you getting the young lady hooked!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the intel, looks like we are leaving next Wednesday and fish and camp till Saturday. Will post up pics of stringers full of trout when I get back.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

The reason we went up in June this year is because I asked my 4yr old(now 5) what he wanted to do for his bday. His response was to go to June Lake cause it is called June Lk and his bday is in June so he had a bday while we were up there. Last year he had a great time reeling in the fish I hooked as he did this year but he really wanted to to do all the casting himself this time. I gave him as much time as I could casting a spinning reel but it was hard with the winds and brush in the streams. Here are a couple more proud pics:
photo_zps22fd94af.jpg
photo_zps34726d06.jpg

That is just flat out awesome. Mama Bear and I are thinking about going in a few weeks!

I was fortunate enough to be able to go three times last season, I was hoping to get drawn for a deer this year so I could go again in September but that didn't happen so hopefully I can get back up there in October to catch some browns. Archery in Utah is going to take up our usual time in August.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu