Trying to get into the sport.

tmasco

Jul 10, 2014
Canyon Country, CA
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, new to Southern California, and new to hunting. I have a ton of questions already, but I'll post those to more specific threads.

I've been hunting a few times for coyote with limited success, tried turkey hunting this last spring, and have taken rabbits a bunch. This year I drew an A31 tag, so it is time to start scouting and target shooting to prepare. If anyone has any tips on where to start looking in the Angeles National Forest, that would be really appreciated. I don't want to steal anyone's honey hole, getting your feet dirty and exploring new spots is half the fun, but being pointed in the right direction would save me a lot of walking around searching for deer that aren't there.

Any other tips on good places to go for coyote, turkey, upland birds, or whatever would go a long ways. Thanks for the help in advance, and happy hunting!

The angeles is my back yard. I grew up in it. I know people pull bucks out every year but I have never seen one in person and I've been all over the mountain over the past 20+ years

As for upland I get a lot of quail out of los padres but it's hit or miss.

For dove imperial valley long drive but worthless it I'm headed that way next weekend for euros.

Deer live almost everywhere in the Angelus nf. Get out and hike. Look for trails and acorns. Set out some cams and see what's lurking. If you get nothing move and try a new area. That area is very competitive and no one is going to give up a spot just go do it.

Aeon said:
Deer live almost everywhere in the Angelus nf. Get out and hike. Look for trails and acorns. Set out some cams and see what's lurking. If you get nothing move and try a new area. That area is very competitive and no one is going to give up a spot just go do it.
Great advice Bill. You won't get told where to hunt on this forum, but if you're willing to put in the work and check back, you'll get plenty of advice on how to hunt, and you'll improve quickly. Just get out there, and report back.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Aeon said:
Great advice Bill. You won't get told where to hunt on this forum, but if you're willing to put in the work and check back, you'll get plenty of advice on how to hunt, and you'll improve quickly. Just get out there, and report back.

Sent via Tapatalk

+1........Remember too, that maps & Google Earth are your friend........Try to find where 2 or 3 year old fires have been as well.

Go high where there's water and glass the canyons they love to hide in the thick stuff when the season gets going. The rut hits around Halloween and the bucks will show if you find the does

Welcome to the SCH website tmasco. Good luck with your hunting...

Thanks for all the input and the welcome!

I went above Azusa last weekend for some scouting. It was way too hot for the deer to be around, but I found a lot of good oak groves and glades that might be good this fall. I also found loads of wild blackberries. I picked a few pounds of them and baked a couple pies. It's not venison, but that alone was well worth the trip.

Happy hunting.

tmasco said:
Thanks for all the input and the welcome!

I went above Azusa last weekend for some scouting. It was way too hot for the deer to be around, but I found a lot of good oak groves and glades that might be good this fall. I also found loads of wild blackberries. I picked a few pounds of them and baked a couple pies. It's not venison, but that alone was well worth the trip.

Happy hunting.

nice wild blackberries are great. good find.

just a thought, remember there's also predators out there be careful..

I've never seen deer eat black berries, at least down here in SD.......They're normally in semi wet areas though & bottom land.......That means game probably frequents the area.......Try to find trails leading in or out of the spot......Buy a trail cam, if you haven't already.

ilovesprig said:
I've never seen deer eat black berries, at least down here in SD.......They're normally in semi wet areas though & bottom land.......That means game probably frequents the area.......Try to find trails leading in or out of the spot......Buy a trail cam, if you haven't already.

The blackberries were all for me, I'm not sharing with any deer. Ha ha. Racoons in the area loved to eat them too... and then take a nice big poo right on the trail. It was all over the place.

A trail cam would be handy, but I wouldn't trust it out there in that particular spot. It's secluded, but not very far from places with lots of vandalism and stuff.

tmasco said:
ilovesprig said:

The blackberries were all for me, I'm not sharing with any deer. Ha ha. Racoons in the area loved to eat them too... and then take a nice big poo right on the trail. It was all over the place.

A trail cam would be handy, but I wouldn't trust it out there in that particular spot. It's secluded, but not very far from places with lots of vandalism and stuff.

HAHA... just don't confuse the blackberries for the coonberries! Aaah... Si Robertson, you still make me laugh thinking about that episode.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu