Turkey Gear

Bask

Oct 3, 2022
Hey all!
Looking to gear up for fall and or spring turkey. I have a shotgun and processing gear situated as well as a mouth call (which I need to practice) and a box call. Camo wise I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Any opinions on First Light camo what pattern/temp rating? I have access to a 30-40% discount for them so that's why I'm asking specifically about that brand. I'm open to other brands as well. Also I recall talk at the July or June NWTF meeting, of some type of chest rig with an attached seat or just a seat(?), everyone seemed to agree that while not necessary it make the whole process a lot more enjoyable. I forgot exactly what it was called.

I'm planning to start scouting for them next month in CNF and surrounding areas, is that to early?(or to late?) From what I understand they have a winter roost area that they move to, just unsure of when it is they make that move.

And while your here, just to shoot my shot I'll be in Texas for the opening but the following weekend is when I'm planning on going so if anyone wants to drag me along let me know! I'll bring burritos and zero experience turkey hunting to the table. :)

If any other newbies are out there and want to try and figure this out with me let me know. Two idiots working together are better than one idiot alone.(citations needed)

Edit: just looking for toms this fall not hens. gotta keep the moms going for future years

Last edited:
Bask,

First Lite gear is as good as any of the others...Stay with greens & browns...You can use your normal outdoor type clothing, if you purchase a ghillie suit (top & bottom)....As as far as seats go....The turkey lounger is the best....Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabella's had them as cheap as $29.95...Fall hunting doesn't require a lot of calling....Most birds taken by spot and stock....Spring time hunting is a whole other ballgame.,,,:blush:

Thank you for considering not taking a fall hen... :clap:

012.JPG

It's never a bad time to go look for them. I'd absolutely start looking now.

First Lite corrugate guide pants in Cipher are what you want. With the huge side zippers, those pants are flexible for cold to warm weather use. I prefer lighter colored patterns. A warm packable puffy jacket is also worth its weight in gold. Those mornings waiting for the sun to rise get cold! Then the days warm up quick. I also use a merino top but that's Kuiu. Also, I mix and match camo. I'll wear 3-4 different patterns at any one time and it's not an issue. Make sure everything is covered head to toe though, including hands and face. Keeping movement to a minimum and sitting in shade (if possible) is more important than the camo pattern IMO.

Reactions: Bask and ilovesprig
Thanks guys!

Gives a point to launch from, I'll look into everything mentioned and bring anymore questions to the next meeting.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Bask,

First Lite gear is as good as any of the others...Stay with greens & browns...You can use your normal outdoor type clothing, if you purchase a ghillie suit (top & bottom)....As as far as seats go....The turkey lounger is the best....Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabella's had them as cheap as $29.95...Fall hunting doesn't require a lot of calling....Most birds taken by spot and stock....Spring time hunting is a whole other ballgame.,,,:blush:

Thank you for considering not taking a fall hen... :clap:

View attachment 59719
Larry like grille suits. Proof they are the way to go.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I use their Phantom Leafy Top and Balaclava. Very light weight and comfortable. There are several good turkey seats, I really like Sitka's new turkey vest with the built in seat. It's very well designed and executed. I also have a spare vest with seat at home if you're interested in it. I can't remember the brand, I believe it's a Cabella's. Shoot me a private message if you want it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu