Turkey Hunting Basics

Interesting tip FowlPlay, I think I'll give that a try. Although the wind often spins my jake around on its post. And yes I've had other hunters close in on my jake before on public land. So it can be dangerous.

To add to the decoy talk, has anyone here ever used a real fan with good results? I was thinking of trying to attach an old jake tail fan onto my decoy to see if it draws any more gobbler attention. I realize it could be dangerous too.

I always use real tail feathers on full body decoys (B-Mobile)......Jake or tom.

This is a full mounted gobbler......Drew in 7 jakes......And this young lady got her 1st turkey.

Attachments

• turkey hunt 5-5-12 025.JPG
    turkey hunt 5-5-12 025.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89
08c805fd90353e5ae3ce4d180ecd2a36.jpg

Nice. Yea I'd like to get a BMobile one day but until then I'm stuck with this duo. They work ok but was just thinking of trying to strap an old jake fan I've got onto the decoy. Might be a PITA to carry though, we'll see.

Attachments

• 08c805fd90353e5ae3ce4d180ecd2a36.jpg
    08c805fd90353e5ae3ce4d180ecd2a36.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 5
Like I mentioned before........The incoming tom will almost always go after the jake........Have him at an angle that provides you the best shot.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9ohUrkOUs

Oh man Steve, you gotta put the video up of those jakes that went nuts over the decoys couple years back. To this date that was the most hilarious hunt I have ever been on.

Here you go Gen.......That was classic......Should of shot them just out of principal........... :D

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPmAKI5KQg

Reactions: DirtHunter
Yes any turkey with a visible beard is legal. I always tell people that it would be best to pass on the bearded lady to continue the turkey population growth.

surfcity said:
Female birds with beards are legal? Even in the Spring?
GREAT STUFF btw

Yes, they are.......And the opposite is true about toms (males). They are illegal, if they don't have a visible beard (quite common on young jakes).

Remember, you are hunting beards.

ps......Some believe bearded hens do not lay eggs or raise poults......Not true......We personally choose not to shoot bearded hens.

Bearded hen and beardless jakes.

Attachments

• IMG_9156.JPG
    IMG_9156.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8935.JPG
    IMG_8935.JPG
    523.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7723.JPG
    IMG_7723.JPG
    768.1 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: DirtHunter
Awesome info on here !! 8) I have always hunted a bow only area for turkeys. The last couple of years however it seems the turkeys have moved on as only a few have been in that area. It being a 140 drive I may try shot gunning this year if I find a nice area...

never been turkey hunting and i am trying to get into the game!!!!!! Just wondering if there are any good areas in the Jamul area or Clevland area to start looking through ? any advice or tips??

There is kind of a code with Turkey hunters. If you are hunting private land good for you. If you are hunting public lands. You have to WORK. Nobodys gonna tall you where to hunt or go to find birds.
Finding birds is tough. I know where they are at, I worked my butt of to find them Hard long days of beating the bush. With all that said YES CNF is a great place to hunt turkey. However you have to Work. Its just the bottom line when it comes to Gobblers. Read and watch the upland game forum and pay attention and you will learn how to hunt and avoid the mistakes newbies make.
Ask the right questions and the guys and gals on this site are Amazing.

Good luck lots of your questions will be answered tonight if you go to the upland game forum

Happy hunting....

JD,

Don't know where my response went, but I'll try this again...... Like SF said, nobodies going to give named spots.....I CAN tell you, I get reports of turkeys from almost anywhere in and near the CNF......A couple of days ago, my daughters boyfriend said he had seen a set of hen tracks on a public dirt road coming home from the turkey tune-up with his dad (must have went the round about way.....lol)......He showed me where on Google Earth.....I went up there Friday and checked it out......I didn't see any tracks where he saw them, but I started expanding my search to other roads and areas nearby......Not far away, I found a cool little valley and even though I never put a visual on him, I got a gobble......Yesterday, we went back at daybreak to fine tune the area.......No gobbles at first, but found fresh gobbler tracks......I had been using the peacock call......I changed to the box and instantly got a shock gobble......Pinpointed the spot and we spotted 5 longbeards and 15 hens...... :-\.......They were no more than a 100 yds from perfectly legal spot....... ;)

You need to drive the back country. There are tons of places turkeys can go......I hunt or scout almost year round and had never been to this area.......Good luck.

surfcity said:
There is kind of a code with Turkey hunters. If you are hunting private land good for you. If you are hunting public lands. You have to WORK. Nobodys gonna tall you where to hunt or go to find birds.
Finding birds is tough. I know where they are at, I worked my butt of to find them Hard long days of beating the bush. With all that said YES CNF is a great place to hunt turkey. However you have to Work. Its just the bottom line when it comes to Gobblers. Read and watch the upland game forum and pay attention and you will learn how to hunt and avoid the mistakes newbies make.
Ask the right questions and the guys and gals on this site are Amazing.

Good luck lots of your questions will be answered tonight if you go to the upland game forum

Happy hunting....

I have been hunting for a few years now and believe me i know not to ask for spots, thats why I purposefully did not!!! I am asking for some help on where to start looking? I don't know if y'all are fisherman but i will never give up my Lingcod or yellowtail hole!!!! but I don't mind helping people out with good colors, contrasts, when to throw what how to use it and such. I am the kind of person that rates success based on personal achievement, having things handed to you takes all the fun out of exploring. The site has already provided me with plenty of great information. I just do not know lick about turkey hunting for that matter except what i have read on this page today other then that its all string theory to me. Sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong way..... I was just looking for somewhere to start and I guess that'll mean cruising the forest on my own 8)

No offense was taken on my part......It's dam hard to find places to hunt.......I learned early on, it's better to have 20 acres of prime private land than 2000 of public.......Even though locally I have some good private places to hunt. When I hunt out of state, I hunt public.....Before I go to the spot, I try to contact the local chapter of NWTF or another organization I belong too. Local forestry people are also contacted. And of course, maps or Google Earth the area.

When I'm in the east county, I'm always listening to folks. Just last year a guy saw me with a youth hunter sitting in Lake Henshaw Café. Asked me what we were hunting.....Turkeys.....He went on to say he had some on his place. I told him it was a junior hunt and he invited to hunt......Remember, your always selling yourself and 1st impressions mean a lot.

ilovesprig said:
No offense was taken on my part......It's dam hard to find places to hunt.......I learned early on, it's better to have 20 acres of prime private land than 2000 of public.......Even though locally I have some good private places to hunt. When I hunt out of state, I hunt public.....Before I go to the spot, I try to contact the local chapter of NWTF or another organization I belong too. Local forestry people are also contacted. And of course, maps or Google Earth the area.

When I'm in the east county, I'm always listening to folks. Just last year a guy saw me with a youth hunter sitting in Lake Henshaw Café. Asked me what we were hunting.....Turkeys.....He went on to say he had some on his place. I told him it was a junior hunt and he invited to hunt......Remember, your always selling yourself and 1st impressions mean a lot.

Thanks again ilovesprig

Im excited to get out after this storm hopefully it'll clear up old dead tracks and show some fresh new ones, and i also read somewhere that its a good idea to look in the trees or around larger trees for turkey poop as a good sign for the turkeys roosts? is this true and a good area to focus on when the season opens?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu