Turkey Loads & Patterns

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
As most of you know by now, we can no longer shoot lead in California for turkeys (a number of folks at the tune-up did not know).....My findings other than the cost factor is, we will not lose any fire power.....In fact, the patterning of Hevi-Shot & Rem Wingmaster HD has been superior.....For guys that want to spend a little less. Hevi-Shot makes a couple of loads that are 1/2 Hevi-Shot and 1/2 steel (Hevi-Metal & Speed Ball).....Cost factor is about 1/2 of that of pure Hevi-Shot.

Your choke can make a difference.....With the cost so high on these shells, patterning will become less frequent.....Here's a few patterns to get you started or copied.

The 1st pattern is with a Primos Jellyhead (.665) and a Benelli M-2....Hevi-Shot 3" 2 oz. #4's.

The 2nd pattern is the is with a Pure Gold choke (.670) and a Beretta A-400....Same exact shell.

As you can see.....Both shells would have killed the turkeys at 30 yds.....But, the Pure Gold had a denser pattern.....Meaning, it would probably be superior at 40+ yds.

For those of you that shoot a 20 gauge or have a youth hunter.....This pattern was shot at 30 yds with a Benelli standard full choke (.684), Rem Wingmaster HD, 3" 1 1/4oz, 6's......Not a lot different than the 12's.

.017.JPG 018.JPG 023.JPG

Last edited:
I took Steve's advice three years ago and purchased a Jellyhead choke for my a300 with Hevi-shot 4,5,6 and have never looked back...still hate that we can't use lead but at least this combo works!

239fdf9070759d2f4bbbafebd472da2e.jpg

Thanks for posting this Steve. Does anyone have thoughts on the stock chokes on an a-391 (I've been using IM mostly) for turkey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy, that 15 yarder shows how easy it would be to miss a turkey, if you aimed at the eye and shot a little high.......o_O

For those looking to purchase turkey loads, make sure to not purchase Hevishot Triple Beard. Although it is from Hevishot, it is their more affordable lead alternative. I sent NBK some shot suggestions from Hevi shot so hopefully he'll have some in stock at Fine Firearms soon.

.IMG_6454.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bonejour
Jason,

I would call 1st, but Bass Pro carries it......If push comes to shove......I just ordered 5 boxes from Roger's.....Could part with one, if they show up this week.

Anyone know any local stores in SD carrying non-tox loads? I forgot to order online and now shipping won't be until well after opener. I checked FF and Turner's El Cajon the other day.. nada.

Jason,

I would call 1st, but Bass Pro carries it......If push comes to shove......I just ordered 5 boxes from Roger's.....Could part with one, if they show up this week.

http://www.lmcammo.com/

They have non tox and non lead ammo

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu