Up coming deer camp

Cali Ridge Runner

Nov 25, 2012
San Diego
So I have an area that I been wanting to do some overnighters on public land. It took me 5hrs to hike in the legal way to get to the canyons I want to hunt. I have seen some good quality bucks in the area. My question is if I take water out there and burry it in a sealed container it should be good for a while right? What are the risk with the water going bad if any? What you all think?

So I have an area that I been wanting to do some overnighters on public land. It took me 5hrs to hike in the legal way to get to the canyons I want to hunt. I have seen some good quality bucks in the area. My question is if I take water out there and burry it in a sealed container it should be good for a while right? What are the risk with the water going bad if any? What you all think?
I do it all the time and haven't had any problems yet. I stash my water under a boulder outcropping, out of the sun, and it's still intact. No issues with freezing yet either. On scouting trips before season I'll take a few jugs and keep em out there for months.

Sweet thats what I figured. Just wanted to hear it from some one that does it. The plan is to make a couple trips out there soon and just bury all the heavy stuff and leave it out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you usually take for food? I was thinking my jet boil stove with a bunch of Mountain House meals and trail mix , jerky. I want to take my teenage son but mama bear is making it like he going to college dorm or something! LOL she is making me cover all angles which I guess is a good thing. If it was up to me we would live off cactus and rabbits. LOL

we have water thats going on its 4 th year in the shade and in a collapsible 5 gal . I took someones advice and added a tablespoon of chlorine

Fall Guy introduced me to Jet Boil this spring in Utah turkey hunting....I'm sold.....:yum

When I was a real hiker/hunter.....I never carried a lot of water (1 canteen).....Of course, we could drink from streams in those days....I guess it's better being safe than sorry.....;)

. 047.JPG

Reactions: Baldkrash
I stashed 2 gallons water 5 miles back on Sunday buried it under a tree. I won't need it this year though since the stream has water that I filter.
Food Mountain House, power bars, cliff bars, BEEF JERKY, tuna in the bag is a huge source of protein and has long shelf life. I also use the Folgers coffee tea bags they are super simple.

I wouldn't bury the water hang it in a tree. I use a 3' rope zip tie each end to gallon jugs with screw on caps. Great for carrying in too

Filter the water, it taste better than chlorine and if you have a bladder you can directly fill through the bite tube

Bring lots of hot sauce for those MH

Freeze dried food is great, but my fav is Idahoan mashed potatoes. Lots of different flavors, easy to make, add some meat for protein and you're good to go. While you're in that aisle in the market, check out the Knorr rice side dishes. Same idea. Lots of flavors, just add some meat. Get the chicken and rice flavor and add a foil pack of chicken or tuna and it's pretty tasty. It's all pretty much the same as the freeze dried stuff, just packaged different.

kill a deer. then you don't have to worry......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu