Upgrading a Rifle

8SteelTown

So I know next to nothing about upgrading a rifle. Everything I do in regards to hunting is at a minimum expense so I can go as often as possible without putting my house into forclosure. I have a Ruger American 308 with a sling and a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 BDC scope. It already has a free floating barrel and adjustable trigger. It shoots just fine for my needs so far.

Would it be worth it for me to get a better barrel, trigger, bolt? Obviously can't afford to buy a new rifle so was thinking upgrading may be the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RugerAmerican308.jpg

Really the only thing worth changing would be the trigger.. Hunting with a rifle that has a 1.5# trigger is way better then hunting with one that has a 3# trigger in my opinion.

I looked online and there doesn't seem to be really any after-market triggers for your rifle.

But, if you are shooting well out to 200 yards you'll be fine for deer hunting.

If you want to build a rifle to shoot 500-600 yards, I would wait till you can build it from a R700 or a Tikka etc. You have a lot more options from other guns.

TaftHunter said:
Really the only thing worth changing would be the trigger.. Hunting with a rifle that has a 1.5# trigger is way better then hunting with one that has a 3# trigger in my opinion.

I looked online and there doesn't seem to be really any after-market triggers for your rifle.

But, if you are shooting well out to 200 yards you'll be fine for deer hunting.

If you want to build a rifle to shoot 500-600 yards, I would wait till you can build it from a R700 or a Tikka etc. You have a lot more options from other guns.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks buddy!

Plus the American hardly has any room to add ons. Companies just really are not producing much aftermarket for that gun.

Ajsnack said:
Plus the American hardly has any room to add ons. Companies just really are not producing much aftermarket for that gun.

Yeah... not too worried about it. I've accepted the fact that the operator needs to improve, not the rig. I've gotten much better with it and my confidence is great out to about 450 yards.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu