Utah gobbler down

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well it's been a long day unpacking after 6 days in utah turkey hunting, fishing and camping. Needless to say my wife and I had a blast. The first night we started it off right having dinner with Gen (matagi) and Steve (ilovesprig). After the first night it was non stop hunting and fishing for 5 days. Each day we had plenty of gobbles and excellent trout fishing but getting the birds to commit was tough and quite frustrating. Day 4 of the trip was definitely a frustrating day but after lots of hiking, calling, and waiting I finally downed my first Merriam's tom. He's not a giant but definitely one that I will remember for years to come. 9.25" beard , 20lbs, and no spurs ( 2nd one I've seen... weird). The last 2 days involved nice sized trout and some sneaky toms. The wife could have easily killed a Jake more than once but she was holding off for her first longbeard. Over all a trip of a lifetime.

Josh

IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1931.JPG IMG_1982.JPG IMG_1977.JPG

Congrats Josh,

Loved the play by play......Those mountain gobblers are much tougher than our local birds for sure. And boy do I love to hunt them.

ps......Marilyn's a trooper too.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Congrats Josh! Looks like a blast. How cold were the mornings? Climbing out of those sleeping bags is one of the hardest parts lol

Great pictures, great gobbler! I've only hunted Utah once, 15 years ago for mulies, but we did the same thing. Brought the rods along and hit a local pond with trout in it. Too cool!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu