VA transplant - Starting from scratch

jjones312

Sep 14, 2014
Hi all..

I've been out here in SoCal (Chula Vista) now for about 5 years and originally from VA and looking to get into hunting.. Although in VA many moons ago I did hunt it but not all that much so I consider myself a noob, especially since the deer hunting I did was w/ dogs. Found the site week or so ago while researching hunting and rifles and enjoyed all the posts and comradery here. Right now I'm in the process of researching rifles. Been looking at a howa .308 and or Savage AXIS .308 but not sure. Since its been years since hunting I'm thinking this could be good intro rifles at a fair price to start again. Thought suggestion welcome :) My brother is out this way also in Temecula and is also looking to get into hunting, so vets looking to help out would be great...

Welcome JJ. For good advice and selection on a rifle and scope, visit Fine Firearms in La Mesa. Good people, love to talk guns, and no pressure or up selling. Do you have a hunter safety card yet? License?

Welcome! I bought my girlfriend a Remington 783 in .270 a few years ago, and it might be a good gun for you to look into. At 100 yards it shoots under a 2" group, not bad for a 350$ gun!

Thanks guys..

Well I just made a purchase and got the Howa 1500 (.308) rifle. I opted for this one because it came with some extras that the savage and Remington didn't, so I figure the extra cost was worth it since upgrades would of run the price up. Plus I sold my old Honda Accord and had extra cash on hand..

Here is the rifles info:
Howa 1500
.308 Winchester caliber
Hogue Overmolded stock
Nikko Stirling GameKing 3.5-10x44mm scope
Picatinny rail
20" free floated, #2 contour barrel
10-round detachable box magazine
Includes Buffalo River bipod

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu