VERY general area to hunt in D19

ThisIsAmerica

Oct 26, 2014
Fallbrook, CA (southern CA)
Good afternoon guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions for hunting D19/Idyllwild area this season. I am not afraid to hike 10 miles in the middle of nowhere but just want a general area on where I should park the car and start. I've been a member here for a while and hopefully that comes into benefiting me by asking this question? :) haha. I work over 60 hours a week and my usual two days off is spent with my wife and son. I am totally dedicated to spending a weekend here and there exploring the area, but would really appreciate a general area to start, thank you everyone for your time! Take care and good luck this season

Last edited:
I know everyone gets really tired of this topic.. but for the amount of people that ask these questions, most of them are just "duck dynasty" weekend-wannabe hunters that give it one unsuccessful season and then move on to different hobbies.. this is different though, I really want to pursue this lifestyle further and know I need to walk miles and miles in the wild. I've been a turkey hunter for quite some time. Now I just want a successful deer hunt before I leave CA for Idaho in a year. I'm not asking for the g spot, just a general idea on what road I should park my truck on. I am an onX subscriber and love the app. Thank you gentlemen

ONX really is the BEST bet. Honestly. Deer are all over and nowhere at the same time. If you turkey hunt then you already know. You will walk all weekend or longer and not see a thing then you will be driving home and see a buck near town. Research accessible public land, google maps google earth Forrest or BLM maps and ONX. Then put boots on the ground. It's the only way.

This is a really touchy question for most hunting people. Especially people on forums. A lot of people have put in an extensive amount of time scouting and finding great spots. These individuals sacrifice certain things to accomplish this. Most blue collar workers put in 60+ hrs a week and still find ways to scout. Even if it's just driving thru the mountains with the family.

Unfortunately I don't hunt D19, so I can't help you out.
If you ever hunt D14 I can help you out. I helped a couple people on here out last year for they're first time in D14 and they were successful. That actually made me feel pretty good to have helped them with it.

Good luck this season

ONX maps, Call the DFG office, get BLM maps, use google eartch and waste a ton of gas. When you find a spot don't tell anyone where to park because that spot will be more valuable to you than most of your possessions.

If you shoot one 10 miles back make sure you have a pack capable of carrying out a de boned deer because that would be a long drag.

Good luck hope you kill a bruiser.

I know everyone gets really tired of this topic.. but for the amount of people that ask these questions, most of them are just "duck dynasty" weekend-wannabe hunters that give it one unsuccessful season and then move on to different hobbies.. this is different though, I really want to pursue this lifestyle further and know I need to walk miles and miles in the wild. I've been a turkey hunter for quite some time. Now I just want a successful deer hunt before I leave CA for Idaho in a year. I'm not asking for the g spot, just a general idea on what road I should park my truck on. I am an onX subscriber and love the app. Thank you gentlemen
I will message you

Thank you guys, I appreciate any input. Like I said, I ain't no duck dynasty wannabe. I'm in it for the long haul. Glad to start here, I will take the jeep wrangler out on my weekend and see if I can get it stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere

if your going to camp then just stay at the lake, if your just going to hunt for a day just use one of the pull outs a long the road and hike in. you can also take the road pasted the lake and drive in until you see a place you like then just park and hunt.

I also hunt D-14 and my wife and I try to get a hike in every weekend during the off season, 5-10 miles and will sit and glass areas while were out. keep notes. Onx maps is the best invention for hunters and I don't go hunting or hiking without it. Water is your best friend with California mule deer. Good luck to everyone this season .

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
try hunting off rouse ridge or out of the camp ground near there are deer in the area but it is a hard hunt, also off black burn rd out of hemet that is a small thick area with lots of private property around but some nice deer hang there if u can get them up.. steep grades off the road as well (hint..)

The only way to be "real" is to get off these "forums" and go hunt. This stuff is just a distraction form the real deal. It should be only an ancillary distraction from real hunting. Maybe you can learn a thing or two but these sites are not a replacement for a real foundation to hunting which is time in the field. Good luck. Have fun and give it your all. I've hunted for over 35 years so it is hard to understand anything other than experience. GO experience life and hunting.....

By the way this is not a "hunting Report." This Forum is reserved for, uh, Hunting Reports.....let us know when you get one in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
try hunting off rouse ridge or out of the camp ground near there are deer in the area but it is a hard hunt, also off black burn rd out of hemet that is a small thick area with lots of private property around but some nice deer hang there if u can get them up.. steep grades off the road as well (hint..)

Be careful of that riverside county game preserve in Bautista now there's few new signs posted its gotten bigger the last few times I've been thru there more signs were added bunch of bull shit.

Good afternoon guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions for hunting D19/Idyllwild area this season. I am not afraid to hike 10 miles in the middle of nowhere but just want a general area on where I should park the car and start. I've been a member here for a while and hopefully that comes into benefiting me by asking this question? :) haha. I work over 60 hours a week and my usual two days off is spent with my wife and son. I am totally dedicated to spending a weekend here and there exploring the area, but would really appreciate a general area to start, thank you everyone for your time! Take care and good luck this season

I'd wait a year and hunt Idaho since you're moving there and California sucks. Lol

All jokes aside we're in the same boat. Hoping to get out in a few once the fish move back to Mexico. Good luck to you!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu