Watch out what you wish for

dtbushpilot

Apr 17, 2011
Caught a nice Yellowfin on the "Outcast" Tuesday in Buena Vista BCS, kicked my butt! 246lbs at the dock after being bled. Large natural color cedar plug, Shimano Tiagra 30W LRS with 50lb mono, Calstar 5 1/2' boat rod (way overmatched), stand up gear, 20 minutes of fun, 2 hours after that of not much fun. Looking for smaller tuna or a bigger boat......that's a tough choice...

Amazing fish David. I wish I was there to watch you battle that beast! The bar is set for sure. You have a new personal best to go after. Can't wait to hear the whole story.

NBK said:
Amazing fish David. I wish I was there to watch you battle that beast! The bar is set for sure. You have a new personal best to go after. Can't wait to hear the whole story.

Wish you had been here too bro, could have used some back up. My neighbor caught one 315lbs day before yesterday, I'm going out tomorrow to beat it right after I check swordfish off my bucket list, they have been around too.

If you spot swordies, drag big rapalas in purple or bright green. Hope you ate your wheaties.

TonyS said:
If you spot swordies, drag big rapalas in purple or bright green. Hope you ate your wheaties.

Thanks for the advice Tony, I haven't had the opportunity to target one yet. Locals usually throw live or stunned bait to them down here, they say that the swordies are lazy and will go after a stunned or dead bait before they will chase a healthy one. I don't know if any of that is true but if I try and fail I will drop some Rapalas back.

Ha ha - you will think they are lazy until you hook one. Then you will wish you didn't...

NBK,

You sound like a man who couldn't comb his hair the next morning. Until it happens to you, it is unfathomable.

TonyS said:
NBK,

You sound like a man who couldn't comb his hair the next morning. Until it happens to you, it is unfathomable.

And I wouldn't be able to wipe my a$$ either......Of course, we're not in your shape or have your outdoor skills.

Saw my first swordfish yesterday but couldn't get him to go. Went out and found a school of porpoise with no other boats around so I snuck up on them and put up the kite. I have been reluctant to try the kite when other boats are around because I really don't know how to fly it and I didn't want to be the object of ridicule if I dropped the kite in the water. We had the gummy flying fish skipping across the surface in a convincing fashion in no time, I knew it was only a matter of time before a giant tuna would swallow it.....but it didn't. We tried for an hour or so before resorting to cedar plugs etc. to no avail. Had to settle for a couple of Marlin on the way home.

I'm going to get that swordie this year.....

dtbushpilot said:
TonyS said:

Thanks for the advice Tony, I haven't had the opportunity to target one yet. Locals usually throw live or stunned bait to them down here, they say that the swordies are lazy and will go after a stunned or dead bait before they will chase a healthy one. I don't know if any of that is true but if I try and fail I will drop some Rapalas back.

Typically swords are deep water feeder, squid and rockfish most of the time. They also come up to the surface to warm up and oxygenate their blood before they head back down. There is a short window to bait one, I have tried a half dozen times unsuccessfully best of luck in getting the swordie

A pic of us trying to bait a swordie and another free swimmer

full

full

TonyS said:
NBK,

Your probably right Tony. I am hoping you will show me the ropes...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu