Watch your step......YIKES!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Drew,

Sorry for posting your picture, but these boys are out.......Really, watch where you put your hands and watch your step, if you're not wearing snake boots or gaiters.

Snakes from MCC (Vista Irrigation Dist.) today........o_O

.084.JPG 085.JPGsnake.jpg

Last edited:
Yup the boys gave him the 20GA head chop. We skinned him up put the skin in glycerine and alcohol and the boys are going to eat him tomorrow. They think they are Bear Grills all of a sudden. They are going to use flint steel to make a fire and cook him in the yard. Survival food lol.

I didn't have my Gaiters on today but they will be on the rest of the season. I need to find or modify some for the boys. Watch where you sit those bastards love the bases of oak trees.

You guys crack me up, it's just a dumb snake I pick them up because I can put them to good use, otherwise I would just walk around them. I have never intentionally killed one as I have a deal with them- (don't kill me and I won't kill you). There's no shortage of them in So Cal so kill it if you can put it to good use otherwise let them go on there way. P.S. They are out in force right now because of the winter we had so look where you are walking !

Fred,

I think God made a mistake when he made rattlesnakes........;)

ps.....The 2nd snake pic was a scary one.....Josh' & Tyler's girlfriends were sitting in turkey loungers, when this guy slithered by them at about 2 feet.....o_O

I have never used gaiters but after seeing this anyone have any recommendations on gaiters or diy solutions? I will be doing my first So Cal hunt this Spring and I was not worried about snakes until this post.

IMG_1150.JPG
Tastes like chicken!
Fred I am not a big fan of killing them but the boys wanted to eat it. They are a pretty awesome critter. I do kill the ones on or around my property though since we have kids and a dog.

I ran into a nice one yesterday while I was working my dogs. Got in close for a pic, the let him go on about his business. Beautiful animal.
20e24713274c5c830d493551603d5790.jpg
7aef28e658edaff2eb98097624ed33c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moves
Within 10 minutes yesterday I had a Kingsnake on one side of the house and a rattler on the other side of the house. The Rattler got moved down the road about half a mile.
Had a rattler on my lower lot last week.
I've also seen 3 dead rattlers on the road to my house the last two weeks.
The snakes are out in force right now.

Reactions: Matagi
We were cleaning up the Bear State Archery course this weekend for the upcoming shoot. I was surprised not to see any rattlers, but Mike and I both had our boots and gaiters on just in case. We'd never have heard them with the weed whackers making a racket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matagi
Not a reptile guy by any means. Just been around them for a long while and studied them because of what I do for a living, I do know that pit vipers (rattlesnakes) possess no audio ability so don't expect them to hear you coming and warn you. They are sensitive to foot steps (seismic activity) so stomp your feet as you walk but don't feel this is enough to let them know you are there (and more and more so because of what I have seen because I believe they have become acclimated to our presence and do not feel as threatened unless directly confronted and agitated) Best advice, Look where you are walking and to each side of your path and do the same for your dog and keep them on a leash if it looks like a bad area or don't bring them at all (spring time is the worst but any time in this part o the world is snake time if the weather is right) . Gaiters are a something everyone should seriously consider in this part of the world if you off road, especially if you venture far off the beaten path. Getting bit five miles off the trail head with no cell service would seriously suck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu