Welcome Newbies!

Nick, you'll need to get yourself a copy of BLM and NF maps to know what areas are legal for shooting. For my money, the better way is just go online and get an OnX maps membership which you can use for n your phone as well as your laptop. You can see gov't lands, private, etc. for small game, check this thread:
Some help to new Jackrabbit hunters
http://schoutdoors.com/threads/some-help-to-new-jackrabbit-hunters.10605/#post-88082

Also check the forum under "hobbies and gear". There are threads there on air rifles, plinking, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
I love the outdoors and all recreation activities that come along with it. I use to hunt upland game with my grandfather before he passed away. I have been out of the game for more than a decade and now have to start from square one. My two boys 18 and 16 really have encouraged to get back into the sport as they would like to hunt as well. We took our first step last weekend obtaining our hunter safety cards. We're very interested in hunting waterfowl and Upland Game to start. Look forward to communicating with educated members on this forum

Hey welcome. I've got boys the same age. The younger one decided he wasn't really into it but my 17 year old loves it. I think it's great to see fathers sons wives daughters and all get out after the animals. Upland is my favorite thing to hunt. What area of California are you from? What type of weapons do you have to hunt with?

Hello Gspmsn,
thanks for the warm welcome. I live in Hemet near the San Jacinto Wildlife Area in Riverside County. Right now we each have a 12 gauge shotgun which is why we are very interested in bird hunting. About 15+ years ago My grandfather and I use to go to Blythe each year for dove hunting. The quail hunting I did locally now has homes built all around it. I realize that the hunting landscape has changed a lot. Great to hear your son is also interested in this great privilege we all get to enjoy. Hope to chat with you again my friend!

K-78,

Welcome to SCH......Think Imperial Co.....Doves, quail, pheasant, and waterfowl......If you're just getting back into it......Please read the upland & waterfowl regulations.....Lots of new & confusing stuff.....Ask questions.....We're all here to help guys get started and staying out of trouble.

Last edited:
Thank you Sprig
I have been looking at both of those threads and will check out the regs today. Imperial County is a big area to choose from. Hopefully I can narrow down the search before next dove season, but I do appreciate the information. Also I really enjoyed the camp penalton video you posted. I personally have never been turkey hunting but have always wanted to try it. The information on that video is that actually on the base?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not on base as far as the turkey hunt......K-78, you really need to attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake Sutherland, Feb 18th......They'll be a wealth of knowledge there, especially about our local turkey hunting, calling, and where to go.

I will have a booth there too.....County Fish & Wildlife commissioners..

Thanks Sprig,
I will do my best to get down there. Looking forward to meeting some of the guys from this forum.

Hello everyone. Name is Enrique and I'm just getting into hunting. I've always wanted to for years and as my new years resolution I'm going for it. Times a wasting and all that.

I'm from the AV area. Looking to start off with some Hog. My main goal is getting to deer and work my way up to Elk.

I'm glad I actually found this site cus I could use some friends in the Hunting community.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful sport.

Reactions: sleipnir
Enrique,

Welcome to SCH.....Lots of hunting opps out near the AV (Antelope Valley?).....Read what you can on here about big game.....Then fine tune by asking questions about where you want to start your hunting experience.

All the best on this pursuit.

Enrique,

Welcome to SCH.....Lots of hunting opps out near the AV (Antelope Valley?).....Read what you can on here about big game.....Then fine tune by asking questions about where you want to start your hunting experience.

All the best on this pursuit.

Yes Antelope Valley.Thank you so much and I will be roaming the forums for valuable insight. Can't wait for deer season this year.

Hi everyone! first off, I have to say a big Thank You for all the help and information that all of you experienced hunters provide. I'm very appreciative on the knowledge that can be shared. I thirst for it, and want to know as much as the next guy someday.
Personally, I'd like to get out and hunt for deer in Cleveland N.F.
I grew up hunting birds and rabbit in IV, and have done one guided Hog hunt. It's way overdue that I start to hone in my extended skills. I'd love to be able to get any possible info on suggested area's to start walking from. i don't mind putting in work, even on my hog hunt, i got in there and helped clean that bad boy.
Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just read and read, and try to research as much as I can, but sometimes, a man just needs some basic info from an experienced hunter, and a simple point of the finger, saying "start there"

thank you, Matt

Matt,

Again, welcome to SCH.....I'll give you a starting spot......San Felipe Wildlife Area.....It's off of S-2 between Montezuma Rd. and Scissors crossing.....And believe it or not, gets little pressure because of the terrain.....Steep, rough, & wide open.....Everything on the north side is rifle. Everything on the south side is bow only.....I have friends that get bucks here every year.

Fine tuning to find the corridors the deer are using is up to you and your hiking/scouting ability.....You'll need good glass and your shots will probably be of the longer variety.

Good luck

.005.JPG

Reactions: sleipnir
Matt,

Again, welcome to SCH.....I'll give you a starting spot......San Felipe Wildlife Area.....It's off of S-2 between Montezuma Rd. and Scissors crossing.....And believe it or not, gets little pressure because of the terrain.....Steep, rough, & wide open.....Everything on the north side is rifle. Everything on the south side is bow only.....I have friends that get bucks here every year.

Fine tuning to find the corridors the deer are using is up to you and your hiking/scouting ability.....You'll need good glass and your shots will probably be of the longer variety.

Good luck

.View attachment 29539
ilovesprig, thank you very much, once again. having this sort of starting point will definitely help get on track. that's a great photo. i've truly got the fever. and it's another great reason to get out and do some hiking again.

Hello just getting back into hunting after twenty years. Ten of which were illness related. After many years of busting my ass I'm ready to get out there. Starting with Turkey in San Diego and hopefully Deer in 19. Boat would be great too. Anyone looking for some partners ( my brother also). Let me know. I'm still moving a little slow, but not for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugs,

Welcome to SCH......Good to hear you're feeling better and want to get back into hunting......Turkey season is right around the corner......Even driving roads in known turkey areas will help when the gun goes off.....;)

.043.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu