Welcome Newbies!

Hey, new here. I am new to hunting, and am in need of a hunting partner. Have no preference boy girl young or old. I just want to learn and have fun. I enjoy the outdoors and pretty much enjoy most activities that are outdoors. Not sure what else I am supposed to put on here so I'm off to read through the forums.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm from the glendora / San dimas area. I would like to start out hunting deer. Than try boar and elk. I want to hunt with both bows and rifles but I am going to start out with rifles first than after a few years try and bow hunt as well.

Welcome!! I'm new as well so not sure what I have to offer other then company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a newbie to this forum, but have hunted for lots of years in Illinois, Texas, and SoCal. Needless to say I am looking for hunting buddies for SAFE and fun adventures. I am retired so every day is Saturday, have an 4X4, and a little RV trailer, so the desert and camping is an option, or just a day trip (SoCal). Anyone up for rabbit season, July 1, 2017 with .22 lr?

Note: I have found a shotgun just makes pellet soup out of rabbits, and a 22 is a lot more fun, and you can eat what you shoot.

Reactions: sleipnir
Hey I would definitely be Interested in that. I'm new to hunting but I have my own guns and some Gear. I'm in the process of acquiring more. And if your willing to impart knowledge I am willing to learn.

Hey I would definitely be Interested in that. I'm new to hunting but I have my own guns and some Gear. I'm in the process of acquiring more. And if your willing to impart knowledge I am willing to learn.

FFF... I guess I am old to hunting, 50+ years, but new to hunting in SoCal. I just got a CA hunting license, but have hunted a lot in Texas and Illinois. So perhaps we could get some guidance from some members of this forum as to where to go in general... no secret spots, of course. I would like to start small (rabbits), but pigs or deer work too.

Dave,

Welcome to SCH.....The Imperial Valley is your best bet for rabbit, unless you have private locally.....It's also a great place to scout for doves (you can shoot Euros now) for the Sept 1 opener.

Deer?.....Get a map of your preferred area/zone.....Then get OnxMaps.....Just today, I was admiring how much national forest there is to hunt here in D-16.

Good luck & ask lots of questions.

Reactions: Dave Roberts
Dave,

Welcome to SCH.....The Imperial Valley is your best bet for rabbit, unless you have private locally.....It's also a great place to scout for doves (you can shoot Euros now) for the Sept 1 opener.

Deer?.....Get a map of your preferred area/zone.....Then get OnxMaps.....Just today, I was admiring how much national forest there is to hunt here in D-16.

Good luck & ask lots of questions.
Thanks a bunch! I will try the valley this summer for rabbits and scout for doves for the Fall. And perhaps get some tags for deer for the season.

Good hunting!

OK cool, I'm down to start with rabbits. Maybe some coyote too. I'm signed up for the hunters ed course so I'll have my license in a couple weeks. I don't want to encroach on anyone's secret spot, I'd like to scout and find my own spots. There is a lot of forest in my back yard but being in LA County I think most of it is bow only due to the weird firearm laws

OK cool, I'm down to start with rabbits. Maybe some coyote too. I'm signed up for the hunters ed course so I'll have my license in a couple weeks. I don't want to encroach on anyone's secret spot, I'd like to scout and find my own spots. There is a lot of forest in my back yard but being in LA County I think most of it is bow only due to the weird firearm laws

I haven't hunted with a bow in many years and I don't think I still have the skills. There are good on-line hunter ed courses, and then you have the four hour live class, and then another test to buy a firearm... and so on. Hang in there and we will see what happens in June.

I am working on a Ruger 10/22 replacing a few parts and adding a red dot to get it ready for July 1... maybe the local BLM land to the east of San Diego, or down in the Imperial Valley as suggested on this blog. Taking rabbits with a 22 lr is easy, fun, and cheap.

I usually hike and shoot with my brother, and a small group is always safe and more fun.

Stay posted.

Ya I have a bow but have only taken it out a couple times. It doesn't even have sights so I'm no where near ready to try and hunt with it. I have fire arms though, have a 30.06 for bigger game and a mini 14 for small game. I have a 22, but it looks like an AR so I would rather not take that out for hunting. I'm set up for June 10 to do the whole class at bass pro. Get it all done at once so I don't have to worry about it. I need to take the mini out and practice with it though.

Ya I have a bow but have only taken it out a couple times. It doesn't even have sights so I'm no where near ready to try and hunt with it. I have fire arms though, have a 30.06 for bigger game and a mini 14 for small game. I have a 22, but it looks like an AR so I would rather not take that out for hunting. I'm set up for June 10 to do the whole class at bass pro. Get it all done at once so I don't have to worry about it. I need to take the mini out and practice with it though.

I hunt with my ARs all the time. 223/556 300aac and an ar10 243. Never had any problems what so ever with anyone.

Ya I know it's OK, but with all the stuff that's been happening lately seems a lot easier to avoid any unpleasantness by not having it. It's just a plinking gun for the range.

My guns are almost as old as me... 50+ and range from a Remington 11-48 12 gauge, to a Remington 742 30-06, but like me, they are old but all the parts still work. And you are right about the AR look-alike, in SoCal folks you can get "looks" from non-hunters. In Texas we would tie the heads of the deer over the tail-gate of the pickup... not recommended in CA.

Good luck on the Hunting Ed class. Just don't fall asleep and you will do fine.

Haha thanks, I'll make sure to have some coffee on hand haha. And nothing wrong with older guns if they were taken care of properly. I have some guns that I'm getting back in to service for my father. They were from the early60's and 70's. They still work good. They just need a thorough cleaning and to be lubed up good before there next outing at the range.

Just to clarify, nothing at all wiring with Older guns my oldest is a savage 99 in 300 savage. It was made in the 40's and still has quarter sized groups at 300 yards. As well as a smith and Wesson 32-20 revolver that served in ww1 and ww2. Still shoots perfect as well.

Hi all. I'm Scott, and I'm currently in Riverside County. I've been thinking about hunting for a while now, and have set my goal to go out next year on a trip. In the meantime, I'll be doing my research, doing my paperwork, gathering gear, and hopefully finding a hunting partner.

It's ironic that I got the hunting itch in California as I grew up in Virginia and spent 10 years stationed in North Carolina, where hunting is pretty prevalent. Anyway, glad to have found this resource, and I look forward to interacting with you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu