Well…. My season is over

Hell ya dude!! Love the fuzz!! Nice!

Tell us more. You have time, your season is over.

Nice buck.

Reactions: Lenny
Thanks gents!

No doves were been harmed, but we did manage to get a ruff looking “road chicken”.

First big fuzzy fork was opening A zone rifle. Hence the lucky orange hat.
Love the A Zone dude...and big Forks!!

The second buck was from an X zone. Drew the tag and spent 10 days scouting along with placing cams. The extra wet weather this year appeared to push antler growth further into the season. First time ever seeing fuzz on opening A zone rifle and all the bucks in my X zone were still growing into August.

It was hard times finding a true “giant” buck- we didn’t lay eyes on our first 4x4 buck until opening day.

IMG_6991.jpegIMG_7134.pngIMG_7240.pngIMG_7238.pngHUNT0405.jpegIMG_7354.jpeg

Fantastic!! We laid a fuzzy buck to rest on the opener also..rare indeed..now go pipe that bear!!!

Opening morning we found “big and little”

IMG_7281.jpeg

The blurry 3 point from above we also found again

IMG_7407.jpeg

For the next 5 days between the hail, rain, snow, wind storm we played with these guys. Couple blown opportunities and on the 5th day I was closing in on big and while he was moving from first bed to second bed he ended up backtracking on me and spooked with little. He was unsure what I was through the bush he was eating on and only ran a short distance. I re positioned on them circling around and while I was doing so little ended up leading the group of bucks and this being day 5 and I had already passed on little once before- I elected to not pass this time. The thump sounded further back (no rib) so we left em for 1.5 hours working on the group of deer trying to get my cousin his buck. Found the arrow

IMG_7300.jpeg

Everything looked good- although half confused because there were no guts and no sign I hit a liver. I was aiming more forward- but the sound sounded like a hit back. Tracked the buck all of 80 yards and he was stiff as a board. Packed up for the long hike back.
IMG_7320.jpeg

Grea deer, sounds like you had an amazing trip

It was a memorable trip for sure. Getting an X tag I put more pressure on myself to find and kill a mature buck- where as in A zone the first legal buck gets it. Sometimes the added pressure makes for a stressful hunt- especially finding nothing truly mature in all my scouting. I learned a lot over the week keeping tabs on the three mature bucks and that for sure was an eye opening experience.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu