What an Afternoon!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
The woods and meadows couldn't have had more action.....At one time, I had 19 deer with 9 of them bucks around me (my kind of ratio).....Full blown rutting activity at the 4,500' level.....This after hunting at the 2,800' level for 10 straight days with little activity and none in the last 2 evening.

The only buck I considered was a weird semi spork (3rd pic).....Big body, little antlers.....No Bueno on that gene.

I know of at least 3 bucks taken at this same level in the last 2 days.....It's on fellas!

ps....How about the 4th pic?.....It appears to be a spike stuck in this spikes head.

.388.JPG 396.JPG 401.JPG 408.JPG 413.JPG 423.JPG

Thats amazing! Thanks for the report. Agree on the 4th pic- Guess its a draw since they both lost an antler.

The woods and meadows couldn't have had more action.....At one time, I had 19 deer with 9 of them bucks around me (my kind of ratio).....Full blown rutting activity at the 4,500' level.....This after hunting at the 2,800' level for 10 straight days with little activity and none in the last 2 evening.

The only buck I considered was a weird semi spork (3rd pic).....Big body, little antlers.....No Bueno on that gene.

I know of at least 3 bucks taken at this same level in the last 2 days.....It's on fellas!

ps....How about the 4th pic?.....It appears to be a spike stuck in this spikes head.

.View attachment 33568 View attachment 33569 View attachment 33570 View attachment 33571 View attachment 33572 View attachment 33573
Steve Holly Molly. I haven't seen that many except in the state park. LOL
Did you Plug One
I think you have the best spot in D16.

I was hoping to get out today. I know it's hot right now when opportunity knocks got to take it. Knee is about 50% right now so I have to pass. Besides next year I will be joining you with the senior citizen retired club. LOL I will be able to go when I want.

Lee,

Passed on them all.....Should've whacked that big buck with the small antlers.....Events like this can last only a day or so.....Mature does get pushed out and it's over.

.View attachment 33575 View attachment 33576
Hell Steve I prefer the little forkies that's good eating stuff. Save the big one's for the younger hunters. LOL. Should of plugged the 3 pointer. We're I go it's rare to see this many deer if any. Your in the gold my friend.

It certainly is on at 4500 feet. I saw full blown rutting activity 2 nights this week including two smaller forks fighting and then being run off by a bigger fork, he had that doe in the trees 2 minutes later. I watched that whole melee unfold for 2 hours. Saw another fork mauling a pack of does the following night nearby. However the bucks are all forkhorns, and generally smaller. I saw 8 forks this week total. 1 was probably a shooter that I’ve seen for a few years now but you know the rules, 3x or better or outside the ears, etc.... sometimes I wonder why I even bring a gun:)

I’ll bet next week the bucks down lower start to get with it.

I helped another public hunter get drag his forky out this week too.

.E861330C-266E-4BA9-B491-54AE3A7ED026.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly is on at 4500 feet. I saw full blown rutting activity 2 nights this week including two smaller forks fighting and then being run off by a bigger fork, he had that doe in the trees 2 minutes later. I watched that whole melee unfold for 2 hours. Saw another fork mauling a pack of does the following night nearby. However the bucks are all forkhorns, and generally smaller. I saw 8 forks this week total. 1 was probably a shooter that I’ve seen for a few years now but you know the rules, 3x or better or outside the ears, etc.... sometimes I wonder why I even bring a gun:)

I’ll bet next week the bucks down lower start to get with it.

I helped another public hunter get drag his forky out this week too.
LOL sounded like a barn dance. Like my grandma Evie use to say.

Reactions: FISHNFRANK

.View attachment 33568 View attachment 33569 View attachment 33570 View attachment 33571 View attachment 33572 View attachment 33573
Some of the bucks I have passed on this year waiting for the monster I seen last year

.View attachment 33614 View attachment 33615 View attachment 33616 View attachment 33617 View attachment 33618 View attachment 33619

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu