what caliber to pick need help and some advice. Howa Axiom anyone have one ?

baboltin

Jan 1, 2014
So I have the option of spending a thousand dollars on any gun I would like and I already have a hunting rifle that I love and so I am looking to build a rifle for some distance shooting. I have looked at a few but would be willing for any suggestions of any rifle brand, or caliper, but two that I am currently looking at is the savage 338 lapua 111 which retails for a little over 1,000 and is a great platform for 1000+ yard shots but also cost a arm and leg to shoot in tell I live somewhere that I have more room and can reload. The other gun I am looking at is the howa axiom 308 and its slightly cheaper to purchase at 1,175, but is much cheaper to shoot. so what I am asking is while I have the opportunity of basically a free rifle what one is the better choice and what are the pros and cons of each rifle ? has anyone shot either one of these rifles and what did you think of them?

Right now I am looking to try and make a platform that I can be shooting 800-1000 yards accurately . thanks guys for all the input

Re: what caliper to pick need help and some advice. Howa axiom anyone have one ?

For calibers I would look at somthing like the 260 remington, 6.5 creedmoor, 308 win, 300 win mag, and 7 mm mag. They will to the 1000+ yards shot just fine and will be a lot easier on the pocket book then the 338 lapua. Don't forget to look at the remington 700 mil spec 5r in either 308 win or 300 win mag. The barrel on the mil spec are m24 barrels that don't meet the contour specs for the military so remington recontours them to a heavy varmint. I believe the 308 is 1:11.75 twist and 5r rifling and the 300 is 1:10. I'm going to build a ar10 chambered in either a 260 or 6.5 creedmoor for the 1000+ yard shots

Re: what caliper to pick need help and some advice. Howa axiom anyone have one ?

Your going to need to spend the same amount or a little more for a scope.

I would suggest doing some serious homework. Building a long range gun and shooting at long ranges are more often than not, underestimated regarding commitment (both mentally and financially).

Financially Savage will be your cheapest route but not necessarily the best route. And as noted above, a FFP (First Focal Plane) scope will be absolutely necessary and not inexpensive.

General long range calibers to look at are:

Norma 6mm BR
.260 Remington
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x284
284 Winchester
7 WSM
7mm Rem Mag
.308 Win
30-338
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
300 Ultra Mag
338 Ultra Mag
338 Lapua

Lungpopper said:
Your going to need to spend the same amount or a little more for a scope.

the 1,000 is just for a rifle and i know the rule normally double the rifle for the optics .

If you have never shot long range I would suggest that before you spend money that you try with what you have, Try landing three bullets in a twelve inch circle at 400 yards and see if you can go beyond that with killing shots at further ranges. I'll bet dollars against doughnuts unless you have trained with the armed forces or law enforcement sniper units that you cant do it. The folks that do spend countless hours and dollars getting to that level of competence Just my opinion... Its a lot harder that just squeezing a trigger....

Snake Charmer said:
If you have never shot long range I would suggest that before you spend money that you try with what you have, Try landing three bullets in a twelve inch circle at 400 yards and see if you can go beyond that with killing shots at further ranges. I'll bet dollars against doughnuts unless you have trained with the armed forces or law enforcement sniper units that you cant do it. The folks that do spend countless hours and dollars getting to that level of competence Just my opinion... Its a lot harder that just squeezing a trigger....

I have shot out to 500 yards and I am conferrable at that range and have also killed game ( cow elk ) at 450 yards, and that was confirmed with a range finder . so I do think I am ready to go to the next step I don't think I am capable of over 1000 but i am trying to take baby steps . so now would be 800 -1000 yards thank you though.

longbowhunter2 said:
I am pleasantly surprised the 308 is considered a good choice, why not 30-06, 243?

lee

.308 does everything a 30-06 does but in a short action and with less powder. Although both cartridges have won Wimbledon and Camp Perry 1000 yard shoots, the .308 is a more accurate cartridge.

The .243 is a great cartridge for sure and the 6mm in general has its merits but cartridges like the 6 BR and others have advantages regarding velocity and accuracy. There are folks who do shoot the .243 at paper but it would never make it as a big game cartridge at distance (nor would any of the 6mm cartridges due to lack of bullet weight).

Didn't we already do this?

Weatherby mags are expensive but shoot flatter and hit harder than the calibers listed above.

im not exactly looking to get a long distance hunting rifle but just one to shoot long distance at the range . but i haven't decided either so with that said any suggestions on make and model for either decision ?

Can't go wrong with a 700 platform. Lots of companies to choose from that can transform a model 700 into a easy shooting tac driver. If you never have shot long distances, I think it would be best to start simple and work your way into more top of the line equipment. Also consider brass costs and availability unless money isn't an option.

Rem 700....7mm mag, as soon as you pick the gun up get a credit card cause it will cost you.

Send the gun to http://www.gunwerks.com/, 2500 bucks later you got your self a tack driver out to 1200 yards with a tactical turret

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu