What did you apply for ?

What unit are you going for in Colorado? 7 points is a ton of points for that state I have always been told burnt CO points at 3-4. Is it a really premier unit?

What unit are you going for in Colorado? 7 points is a ton of points for that state I have always been told burnt CO points at 3-4. Is it a really premier unit?

You are absolutely right. With 7 points, I'm in that gray area in which I'm not much better off than if I had 4 and won't be much better off until I have 14 or 15. Now throw in the fact that a friend of mine took a 206 buck with a tag that took 1 point to draw last year and it makes it even harder to decide what to do. The main reason we have this many points is that the Colorado seasons have been conflicting with some other hunts so we just kept putting in for points. Definitely thinking of burning them soon. Sucks that Colorado doesn't let you average party points!

Reactions: TRICER and Ocurtis
What you could do is hook a friend up and apply together next year giving you both 3.5 points and go on an awesome hunt in CO. If you don't have friends you will after you offer up that opportunity lol.

What you could do is hook a friend up and apply together next year giving you both 3.5 points and go on an awesome hunt in CO. If you don't have friends you will after you offer up that opportunity lol.

Unfortunately, Colorado does not let you average points. Lets say I have 10 points and you have 1 point and we go in together. They way Colorado does it is that we would go in with the lowest party member/points = 1 point!

Hey Guys , my first shot here . Cali max points all species and would like to knock one out so I can start puttin in with friends / family as that is the best hunt anyhow. so with max I went.
goodall with a D16 backer
Independance early bull
Cady sheep
goat point
n a handfull of fundraiser picks

see You Guys on the hill

Reactions: NBK
Hey Guys , my first shot here . Cali max points all species and would like to knock one out so I can start puttin in with friends / family as that is the best hunt anyhow. so with max I went.
goodall with a D16 backer
Independance early bull
Cady sheep
goat point
n a handfull of fundraiser picks

see You Guys on the hill

Wish you luck...but for next year you might want to reconsider. IMO the Goodale hunt is THE most over rated hunt in the State. My recommendation, if your family has any points at all, is to combine points and try another north east X zone. True, you may not see as many bucks everyday...but you would more than likely be in an area that held MUCH larger bucks. If you do want to knock a big one out on your own X5b is going to give you a better chance...and I would say it would be EASY to pretty much match the average bucks that have been coming out of the Goodale hunt. Would you rather see a couple dozen 2 x 3's. 3 x3's or broke/short topped 4x's...or just one heavy deep forked boomer?
Food for thought...there are sooooooo many Folks like you, with max points, that put in for that hunt (was reduced to 25 tags this year)...what do you think your odds of drawing are?

Good luck in the draw!

Reactions: Cptn Mo
You are absolutely right. With 7 points, I'm in that gray area in which I'm not much better off than if I had 4 and won't be much better off until I have 14 or 15. Now throw in the fact that a friend of mine took a 206 buck with a tag that took 1 point to draw last year and it makes it even harder to decide what to do. The main reason we have this many points is that the Colorado seasons have been conflicting with some other hunts so we just kept putting in for points. Definitely thinking of burning them soon. Sucks that Colorado doesn't let you average party points!
CO has great deer in every unit. The higher points of course increase your odds though.

Lower points means more scouting for a dandy. Time is always hard to come by. Always a tough choice.

22 points it took this year to draw the RFW tag that is basically my backyard. I can hunt the same caliber of bucks basically every other year. The whole unit is private though, so it is tough for people who are not local. I would never wait 22 years to hunt a deer though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wish you luck...but for next year you might want to reconsider. IMO the Goodale hunt is THE most over rated hunt in the State. My recommendation, if your family has any points at all, is to combine points and try another north east X zone. True, you may not see as many bucks everyday...but you would more than likely be in an area that held MUCH larger bucks. If you do want to knock a big one out on your own X5b is going to give you a better chance...and I would say it would be EASY to pretty much match the average bucks that have been coming out of the Goodale hunt. Would you rather see a couple dozen 2 x 3's. 3 x3's or broke/short topped 4x's...or just one heavy deep forked boomer?
Food for thought...there are sooooooo many Folks like you, with max points, that put in for that hunt (was reduced to 25 tags this year)...what do you think your odds of drawing are?

Good luck in the draw!
Deerdon, dont even know You and Ill consider Your advice seriously. My mathmatical odds are a lil better than 1 in 20 this year and ill go X5B next year if not drawn ( my buddy hunted it last year and they did well, send me your # and Ill zip you some pics ) after I burn my points I want my app to read A16, A17 , D16.
headin up to hang cameras in the morn

Deerdon, dont even know You and Ill consider Your advice seriously. My mathmatical odds are a lil better than 1 in 20 this year and ill go X5B next year if not drawn ( my buddy hunted it last year and they did well, send me your # and Ill zip you some pics ) after I burn my points I want my app to read A16, A17 , D16.
headin up to hang cameras in the morn

Check your mail.

No draw for me for my first year. Just D14 and D15. The lady also D14 and D15.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu