What's the deal with Mt Laguna

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
I know in a previous thread everybody screamed Laguna is too packed. I covered 10 miles out there today and saw a whole lot of awesome opportunity land to scour, spooked something big (likely a deer), and some game trails when I was paying attention.

I kept my eyes open for stands cams etc. found 1 stand 2 minutes off the road.
1978fcd7bf7061fcd91d9fa485ef2210.jpg

What's the word? Seems if you hike out 4+ you are golden. Tons of spots 1-200yards max right off the trail that are killer to get through and look for signs.

How is Laguna for small game like rabbits etc?

No bunnies bow only

There are stands everywhere so don't be suprized if you go on a weekend and see more hunters than game. Mid week is better......spend 3 days in a row in a good area you'll see deer maybe not a buck but lots of does and lions

Try not to go scouting next weekend up there. A lot of guys will be parked in tree stands all over there.

Here is a hint about bow hunting in so Cal

" tree stands work"

Won't be scouting next weekend no worries. That's just crazy because granted I stayed on the trails, but I covered a lot of land and only hit that 1.

I'll maybe invest in a tree stand next year. Game cams come first on my priority

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair.

So I need to be 4 miles in and 150 yards off trail :)

random question in preparation for a scouting trip this weekend. most of what I'm looking at as far as accessing laguna is the rec area. can you walk through the rec area with a rifle? or is literally the presence of guns a sign of guilt? perhaps unloaded and separated from ammunition?

random question in preparation for a scouting trip this weekend. most of what I'm looking at as far as accessing laguna is the rec area. can you walk through the rec area with a rifle? or is literally the presence of guns a sign of guilt? perhaps unloaded and separated from ammunition?
Not a good idea but that's my 2 cents. Getting stopped with a firearm in the LMRA would be a tough one to explain your way out of.

Not a good idea but that's my 2 cents. Getting stopped with a firearm in the LMRA would be a tough one to explain your way out of.
yeah. It's sketchy and sucks because it seems a lot of roads accessing areas outside the rec are closed. Thinking what I'll do is once I find a spot to hunt i'll identify an access point to get to it nearby.

Walking through part of the rec area hasn't been an issue for me. I've been checked twice by the warden and once by the ranger. I walk with my rifle completely unloaded. I only load when I'm sure I'm no longer in the rec area. You can always flag down the warden and ranger while you're on the mountain or stop by the ranger station in Alpine. I hunt rifle D16 every year up there and park in the rec area and walk out to my spot. No problems

Reactions: Macsteve
Walking through part of the rec area hasn't been an issue for me. I've been checked twice by the warden and once by the ranger. I walk with my rifle completely unloaded. I only load when I'm sure I'm no longer in the rec area. You can always flag down the warden and ranger while you're on the mountain or stop by the ranger station in Alpine. I hunt rifle D16 every year up there and park in the rec area and walk out to my spot. No problems

Perfect answer. Thanks!!!

I know in a previous thread everybody screamed Laguna is too packed. I covered 10 miles out there today and saw a whole lot of awesome opportunity land to scour, spooked something big (likely a deer), and some game trails when I was paying attention.

I kept my eyes open for stands cams etc. found 1 stand 2 minutes off the road.
1978fcd7bf7061fcd91d9fa485ef2210.jpg

What's the word? Seems if you hike out 4+ you are golden. Tons of spots 1-200yards max right off the trail that are killer to get through and look for signs.

How is Laguna for small game like rabbits etc?

This is comical...I saw this similar stand a few weeks ago...:p:p

Attachments

• image1-3.JPG
    image1-3.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 111
Same question but With Palomar Mtn State Park......There are access roads to CNF land but you gotta go through the PMSP.........Having guns in vehicle while driving through State Park land?????

Every time you think you have a good spot on Laguna Mountain you look around and a treestand is been there. I find around 13 or 15 in 4 miles hike. Many people there. good luck !!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu