Whats your biggest Fish ?

Not my biggest fish, but the biggest that I'm most proud of...14-1 calico...Caught off of the Long Beach breakwater...Family friend Charlie Davis introduced me to this fishery in the early 60's.

Only fished nights back then...All black jig, black plastic skirt, and black Crème worm...Browning Sila-Flex rod, 25lb Max, and an Ambassasor 6000 reel...Rough night on the outside and when I got "The Bump", set the hook, I never put one turn on the reel...Drag cinched down and on the rocks...All I was doing was holding on...The big girl just couldn't break or cut me off one more time.

Back then, there were no records kept on Calico's...So, we didn't think much of the weight except all of us "Wall Bangers" knew it was the biggest cali we'd had ever seen or caught...Years later, they became a class IGFA game fish...I now have 5 over 10 off the breakwater.

ps...I think the current world record is 14-7...Caught on a mackerel in open water near Dana Point.

.14-1 lbs calico....The Wall...6-1972.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu