Where Do You Send Your Pill?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I was just curious to see where the sch'ers like to shoot their deer? And if bullet selection dictates your shot? :mad:
A copper bullet compared to a lead bullet, will this variable weigh on where you put the crosshairs?
Some common options: Neck shot, Shoulder/high shoulder, heart lung shot?

Attachments

• ogxjeu.jpg
    ogxjeu.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 144
  • drawskel 2.jpg
    drawskel 2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 141
No brainer, behind the shoulder, largest lethal kill area hands down. Field shooting is not precision bench rest shooting, steadiness, set up, angle, wind and buck fever all play a factor, neck, head and spine shots can produce runaway lost animals if you are not surgical about your shot. I always pick the largest part of the anatomy that will produce a clean kill. If the shot is iffy I pass on the shot and wait for a better opportunity, sometimes that happens a few moments later and sometimes not but I would rather walk away with no animal than chase a wounded animal all over a mountain and feel guilty about not doing the animal proper justice.

Those pictures are good for shots but extend it to behind the shoulder which trans lates to a big kill area. I don't worry about wind but if I was shooting over 300 with strong wind then it's a must.....most of the hunting out here doesn't need that but if I can't close the gap I may take the shot if my rest was steady and little wind.

As for copper I want to hit bone and not just the ribs. I think of copper like and arrow shot I know it's going to pass thru and make sure that bullet passes thru the areas in the above picture.

Now the SST will loose about a third of its weight and spray the soft organ tissue and leave all of its energy in the animal because it won't pass thru creating a huge wound channel. One Elk I shot with the SST at 110yds qtr away hit behind the ribs and the copper jacket seperated from the lead core. I found the copper jacket in the heart but didn't look for the lead core when I gutted the animal my hands were getting nicked by the lead fragments. The elk fell over after the shot then got up for about 20 seconds just before I was going to shoot again it fell over and was dead. Liver was a mess the aorta was seperated from the heart and the lungs were just goo. Sometimes they just don't die right away nor bleed much.

No matter what your shooting you still need to be a good tracker blood or no blood and as was said before shot placement is key.
My first boar at Tejon I was shooting a soft point 30-06 180gr my scope was on 9 and the pigs was 30 yds from me. All I could see was hair then I found the ears as he was heading away so I came down the spine from the ears and hit him in the neck and the bullet stopped just before the head the bullet travelled about 4" along the spine and he was DRT

No matter what if it doesn't go down keep shooting. Better to loose some meat than not find the animal.
Now elk I wait to see if they do the drunken stagger then I know they are going down if it starts to move forward at all I shoot again. Deer and pigs I've seen them hit the dirt hard just to get back up and haul ass so I will rack another round and hold on them if I see them get up at all I'm unloading

I can't post pictures from my iPhone since the new upgrade otherwise I'd show some bullets that have been recovered. But I have a TSX that looks like the blender blade but it's completely flat no more left to curl that's the hot 270 load I have and as far as copper goes it's as good as it can get it always curls till it's flat and most of the pedals break off they look like stumps that had the top blone off.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu