Where to hunt.

austin00

Looking for places to fill a rifle tag next year in the Southern California area new to the deer hunting scene and I'm in need of someone to point me in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was jogging one day at lunch (no kidding, this is real) and I stopped to catch my breath at the creek in Penasquitos canyon. Across the creek from me a 2x2 buck looked me over and then took off (he must have sensed my ability to leap across a 15 foot stream despite my breathless condition).
Long story short... I recommend Rancho Penasquitos canyon.

I personally recommend boots on the ground scouting with maps in hand. do enough of that and eventually you will find deer as well as make friends.

DanSanDiego said:
I was jogging one day at lunch (no kidding, this is real) and I stopped to catch my breath at the creek in Penasquitos canyon. Across the creek from me a 2x2 buck looked me over and then took off (he must have sensed my ability to leap across a 15 foot stream despite my breathless condition).
Long story short... I recommend Rancho Penasquitos canyon.
Haha yea I hear there's still a small herd in there. A buddy who used to work in Sorrento Valley said he'd see deer in the western portion of the canyon under the 5/805 merge. Who knows how much longer they'll last in there though.

Penasquitos Canyon, like most state and city parks, is closed to hunting. If you're just starting out, read this thread. And welcome to the forum.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,6764.0.html

austin00 said:
Looking for places to fill a rifle tag next year in the Southern California area new to the deer hunting scene and I'm in need of someone to point me in the right direction.

Best advice I can give you is go pick up a map of all the hunting zones in your area. Then start doing some research. Start reading a lot of old post and visit as many forums. Once you've done all your research do some more research. One thing I would avoid doing is asking people where to go and hunt to fill your tags. The info is out there if you do Some work. One thing I started doing on the off season was hike and camp around the areas I wanted to hunt during the season. Now I know where the deer are at and how they act during the day. Hunting takes a lot of time and effort to be successful and very few people will tell you where to go. So just get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

A couple of years ago on my way to a job at the sorrento valley post office on the 5 north coming up to the exit traffic slowing oh damn another wreck.
as i got closer a nice 3x3 in the fast lane didnt make it across.

chava714 said:
austin00 said:

Best advice I can give you is go pick up a map of all the hunting zones in your area. Then start doing some research. Start reading a lot of old post and visit as many forums. Once you've done all your research do some more research. One thing I would avoid doing is asking people where to go and hunt to fill your tags. The info is out there if you do Some work. One thing I started doing on the off season was hike and camp around the areas I wanted to hunt during the season. Now I know where the deer are at and how they act during the day. Hunting takes a lot of time and effort to be successful and very few people will tell you where to go. So just get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
I understand what your saying just looking for someone to point me in a good direction of safe legal hunting areas in Southern California. And thank you everyone for your replies!

Back