Who Needs Dove Opener

Irvine said:
Slaughter! That's awesome! Kill all those intruders.

Really?

Pheasant, chukar, and even turkeys are all INTRUDERS.........Limit and seasons on all of them.

I personally think that the migration of euros into California has been a god sent for us wing shooters......The people that want them wiped out at the state level don't like anything non-native.......Look at our pheasant populations thru-out the state, look at the destroying of ARTIFICIAL water sources in our deserts, and what's with the month long EITHER SEX fall season on turkeys!.........These are all non-natives that the purists would like to wipe-out. I could also include bull frogs, largemouth bass, and pigs that are in the sights of the tree huggers right now.

I was in the desert yesterday and the wardens are real unhappy. They're saying people are shooting lots of our NATIVE doves with the euros......They also noted that every week-end sounds like opening day of dove season. This years opener will be interesting for sure.

Nope, I hope they stay around and if it was up to me.......I'd have a 25 bird limit (which we have) and would have the season closed June, July, and August......2 cents

ps......Irvine......This is not a slam on you. Many folks have the same thought. Because I'm older and have seen the disappearance of so many of hunting opportunities. I just think this is a great time to show some restraint on an up and coming hunting resource.

ilovesprig said:
Irvine said:
Slaughter! That's awesome! Kill all those intruders.

Really?

Pheasant, chukar, and even turkeys are all INTRUDERS.........Limit and seasons on all of them.

I personally think that the migration of euros into California has been a god sent for us wing shooters......The people that want them wiped out at the state level don't like anything non-native.......Look at our pheasant populations thru-out the state, look at the destroying of ARTIFICIAL water sources in our deserts, and what's with the month long EITHER SEX fall season on turkeys!.........These are all non-natives that the purists would like to wipe-out. I could also include bull frogs, largemouth bass, and pigs that are in the sights of the tree huggers right now.

I was in the desert yesterday and the wardens are real unhappy. They're saying people are shooting lots of our NATIVE doves with the euros......They also noted that every week-end sounds like opening day of dove season. This years opener will be interesting for sure.

Nope, I hope they stay around and if it was up to me.......I'd have a 25 bird limit (which we have) and would have the season closed June, July, and August......2 cents

ps......Irvine......This is not a slam on you. Many folks have the same thought. Because I'm older and have seen the disappearance of so many of hunting opportunities. I just think this is a great time to show some restraint on an up and coming hunting resource.

I'm with you Steve. The minute we wipe out an 'invasive' species, the game is over.

I was going to let this go but I can't. Whoever you are Mr. ILOVESPRIG, you are directing your comments at me so I must respond. Just because you believe something, doesn't make it true. Like so many people in this world you have very little information that is accurate or correct. First off, some of the birds you refer to are in fact imports from other areas, Turkeys however were native to this area and were hunted out by market hunters. That's why they were re-introduced to this state. With all of the birds you mentioned they breed one or two times in a good year. Euros will breed non stop as many as 4-5 times a year. If they are left to there own they will be the highest populated bird in the southwest U.S.by 2020. They will likely over crowd Morning and White Wing doves pushing them out of their normal migratory range or maybe even causing the population to crash. If you think I'm wrong, call a wildlife biologist and check it out. You don't have to be a biologist to understand what's going on out there. Just look around. Furthermore the cattle feeders loose millions of dollars a year to the birds, mostly Euros eating the grain that is meant for feed. They love us coming out and helping them. As far as the wardens claiming it sounds like a war zone out in the valley every weekend, let tell you from being out there the last 3 weekends in a row and twice a month since duck season closed. I've only seen 2 other groups of hunters shooting Euros this entire year. It sure didn't sound like opening day to me the last 3 weeks I was out there. I haven't seen a warden in months out there. In regard to the migratory doves getting killed by people hunting Euros, all I can testify to is what myself and the people in my group do. We, as a group have killed more than 1,000 Euros this calendar year and have ZERO accidental kills of migratory doves. I'm sure some have been killed by accident but it's not, in my opinion a huge number. Lastly, I'm hunting within the rules and regulations set by the DFW. Do not heap your misinformed view of what reality is on me. Your untitled to your option and that's fine but keep it to yourself unless you can back up your claims with facts and science. The fact of the matter is that we AREN'T PUTTING A DENT IN THE EURO POPULATION. Most of the birds live in places we can't hunt them so their numbers are exploding. I live in Orange County near the beach and I saw my first Euro here yesterday. I know there are populations of them in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista, Escondido and San Diego. I've seen them in these places. I'm sure there are populations in other places I don't know about. I've also seen them in Northern and Southern Baja as I drove down to Cabo last year. Euros inhabit a large portion of Southern North America that is a fact. I will be out there doing it again starting tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get 500 birds for the weekend. Set a new record.

Hey, I live in north LA county and have a nesting pair of Euros in the tree behind my house. In my neighborhood I would be run out of town tared and feathered if I did anything to bother them. I also work in the west end of the San Fernando Valley and have seen Euros actually pushing pigeons off the roof of buildings. The are invasive, pushy and will take over our skys if we don't do our best to control their population and march across our state.

I think that we should be ever vigilant and make sure that we don't accidentally shoot out of season native species, but I an glad that we have finally adopted an all year, no limit law.

1st off this was not directed at you at all.......Even went as far as tell Irvine it was not a slam on him......I guess I should have stated it was not a slam on you either.......Sorry.......It was just my 2 cents as indicated.

ps.......Turkeys are not native to California. Well, unless you go back to pre-historic times.

GmansGpa said:
Hey, I live in north LA county and have a nesting pair of Euros in the tree behind my house. In my neighborhood I would be run out of town tared and feathered if I did anything to bother them. I also work in the west end of the San Fernando Valley and have seen Euros actually pushing pigeons off the roof of buildings. The are invasive, pushy and will take over our skys if we don't do our best to control their population and march across our state.

I think that we should be ever vigilant and make sure that we don't accidentally shoot out of season native species, but I an glad that we have finally adopted an all year, no limit law.

Same here . I have 2 or 3 pairs that live nearby. I live in Temecula wine country so I could probably take them with a pellet gun if I really wanted to...

Also, at least where I live, I've noticed that mourning doves are staying in the city leaving the euros to inhabit the more rural areas. Does this happen anywhere else?

schulte336 said:
GmansGpa said:

Same here . I have 2 or 3 pairs that live nearby. I live in Temecula wine country so I could probably take them with a pellet gun if I really wanted to...

Also, at least where I live, I've noticed that mourning doves are staying in the city leaving the euros to inhabit the more rural areas. Does this happen anywhere else?

In my neighborhood, there seems to be an equal number of Euros and mouning doves. But last year there were no Euros, and today we saw a dozen or so flying around our place.

Even though you hooked me up I am against taking everything you legally can just b/c you can lets be able to have some good wing shooting for years to come

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu