Wister Activity

Holy Crap. They need to clean up 312 C2. It has gotten choked. They are supposed to do work in the W12s which makes me nervous. There is a push to make more island type Blinds and get us off the dikes. This is not a good option for those with mobility issues. This was what I heard from the CWA guy I spoke with.

John

John,

Look at S22 and I'm guessing that's what the 312's and W12's will look like...Y15's and W11's are falling into this category as well...Tough on us old guys....... ;)

And yes, I yearn for the old days when dikes were 50 yds apart....:(

016.JPG

John,

Look at S22 and I'm guessing that's what the 312's and W12's will look like...Y15's and W11's are falling into this category as well...Tough on us old guys....... ;)

View attachment 61590
I hunted S22. That is a walk to that island. We are not Nor Cal. We have hunted the dikes historically at Wister. The bottom makes it necessary. It is not SJ. Unless they make a hard type walk way to the islands then the old guys will be impacted. I can do those walks but the time will come when I can't. Those of you that are younger and thinking no big deal. I can do the walk to any island Blind at Wister. Look down the line. We all get older. Your time will come. Express your opinions to the Wister Supervisor. Put it in writing. Complaining here is not going to cut it.

John

I hunted S22. That is a walk to that island. We are not Nor Cal. We have hunted the dikes historically at Wister. The bottom makes it necessary. It is not SJ. Unless they make a hard type walk way to the islands then the old guys will be impacted. I can do those walks but the time will come when I can't. Those of you that are younger and thinking no big deal. I can do the walk to any island Blind at Wister. Look down the line. We all get older. Your time will come. Express your opinions to the Wister Supervisor. Put it in writing. Complaining here is not going to cut it.

John
My time has come . They keep taking my “go to” blinds . Now I settle for blinds I can get to . And out of . Pretty sad they keep doing the same things even with our concerns . Token gravel walk ways don’t change our concerns. Guess us long timers are being pushed out . Maybe it’s time ? Oldquack 49

Ive hunted at the Wis for 40+ years and i hate the changes as much as anyone, but the current approach to the pond restoration i believe is here to stay. Honestly if the restoration work at Wister mandates the elimination of the small cells in favor of the very large ponds with island blinds, I can't understand why they can't incorporate a substantial above ground walk way from the main dike to terminate at the island blind. I've seen it at several duck clubs. At least give us old farts a chance at hunting all the sites on the area and being able to enjoy the sunset years of our lives

My time has come . They keep taking my “go to” blinds . Now I settle for blinds I can get to . And out of . Pretty sad they keep doing the same things even with our concerns . Token gravel walk ways don’t change our concerns. Guess us long timers are being pushed out . Maybe
I think it comes to making adjustments. There are still good Blinds at Wister. Even if everything goes off the dikes then you go elsewhere. Lots of places to hunt ducks that people don't talk about that are free to access. The places I go require a descent dog. I may not pull a limit but I will get into some big Mallards and Wigeon. But, it is the real deal. No Blinds. No nothing. Just water and good habitat.

John

Talking to wister staff at the end of the season they are going to do the same thing to the 312s and w12s as they did to the y15s and w11A and B. Also sounded like they are going to add a few blinds to the w12s including a handicap blind.

It's all for mangement folks not for hunting......Up it I will just sit in the corner with my lawn chair and play stupid like the rest of em lol.

John,

View attachment 61590
There has always been a lot of trash talked about the Chris Gonzales days but I will take those days anytime over whats happening to the unit these days! The giant ponds suck and island blinds everywhere does not make for better hunting just better hunter management. More green feed in 312 A for what ?the minimal snows that arrive at wister,clean up and plant Y14 closed zone properly with green feed or alfalfa now thats a good project. Flood 312 A and pond it completely that would be a good project. W12 with more blinds and some islands not a good project ,leave it the way it's been for 30 years.

They screwed up 312Bs years back on the first moonscraping project destroyed all the alkalibullrush. Not sure why anyone is a Central waterfowl associations member they don't take any public input either.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu