wister questions

Hunterfisher

Jan 19, 2020
so how does one get a spot at wister. what ive seen is that you have to go the night before to get into the lottery? im trying to go on the 9th but won’t be able to get up there the night before. would i be able to show up early in the morning and hope for an open spot? also i don’t have a dog so how deep is it? will just waders work

You can get on, even if you're not in the lottery...Just your choice of spots could be limited...The 9th is a Sunday...So, there will be plenty.

Most ponds are no more than knee deep...It's the mud that gets you...Have waders that are a good fit in the boot.

.wister 12-11-10 009.JPG

Reactions: MasonP
thanks sprig! do they have a list of rules there? from what ive gathered from lurking on posts is theres a shell limit? gonna be me a buddy and my nephew.

also do i just purchase the type a pass online. do i have to wait for it to show up i. the mail or how does that work

A trekking pole works good to feel in front of you. You can see the bottom for the most part but there is an underwater drainage that runs through most of the ponds and it drops off various depths, just fill it out before taking a blind step into it and give it another 6” of mud sink. Some years it’s deeper than others.

you can get the pass sameday at big 5, walmart or anywhere that sells licenses.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yes, area regs are printed on the back of the area hunt site map that you can get at the check station. Since you'll be a walk-on (last to pick a spot), & that it's a Sunday so the reservation holders & those in the non-res drawing from the night before will be a lite crowd, you'll have plenty of time to talk about the rules with the dfw staff at the check station. Let them know its your first time there & they should be helpful since everyone else has already picked their sites.

thank you guys for all the info. much appreciated. the buddy im going with has been once or twice but i wanted to get an idea of how it works.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu