Wister Signage......Learn 'Em

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Finished off the auxiliary campground this morning and did a count of what signs are needed thru-out the wildlife area......Thought this would be a good place for guys to ask questions about signage.....Knowing what they mean will keep you out of trouble...... ;)

Also, there's only 4 roads that cut thru Wister....Honker, Beach, Beal, and Noffsinger.

1st sign.....Closed zone and no driving at any time.

2nd sign.....Road closed on non shoot days. Can be driven on shoot days to parking lot.

3rd sign.....Directional off Davis Rd.

4th sign......Parking lot number.

5th sign......Intermediate sign at end of dike....Blind stake is a solid metal pole.

6th sign......Wister W.A. boundary.

7th sign......Same as above.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    682.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    733.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    658.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    928.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    499.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: 2dogs1name
Looks great, nice to see some signage clarification. I was out in niland all day yesterday chasing white wings, I should have called you to help out. It was a nice day too.

Kyle,

Wish you would've.......Still a few around.......... ;)

Few more signs and a few ducks too....... ;D

Attachments

• 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    700.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 15
Wister signs have always confused me. I think the main thing is that sometimes, I think an ARROW on the sign would be very helpful. You see a sign that says "Road Closed" and right behind it are TWO roads, therefore not sure if the right one, the left one or both are closed! You see your picture of the sign that says WIGEON ROAD but behind it, there is NO ROAD. Is Wigeon to the right or the left? It reminds me of an intersection I was at in OC yesterday. There were TWO signs on the corner, one said "Right Turn Only" and the other sign said "No Right Turn." It is like the rules and regulations. It states that the hunting party must stay together. Does that mean you have to hunt 'shoulder to shoulder' or that all of you are within the 100 foot circle or whatever the limit is?

MS,

The Widgeon Rd. sign like others of it's kind are on the side of Davis Rd. your blind site is on.....Scaup Rd. sign is the same and the road you take is the road directly in front of it in all cases (runs east & west)......These roads are only open on shoot days. Roads that that have signs that say "Road Closed To Vehicles" are closed at all times during the season. Honker, Beach, and Noffsinger are the only public roads that transverse the wildlife area (there is some question about Beal Rd.).....If in doubt, don't drive it. Some of the cross dikes are quite large and look like roads.....Now is a good time to check in, drive the unit, and learn the sites..... ;)

As far as your hunting party staying together. It does not mean that in the literal sense....In most areas you have 50 yds in any direction from your blind stake. You could in theory have guys 100 yds apart.....The 50 yd radius does not apply to U10 2 & 4, T10 2& 4, 115A2, 3, & 4, and all of 312A where 100 yds is allowed...Other exceptions to this as of now are blind sites that have island blinds (S20 1 & 3, 312C-1), Hazard Unit which is 100 ft. from site, and Union Trac which is required hunting from the pits.

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 16

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu