Wister Still Sucks.....But

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
But, it's nice to have a club to fall back on.....lol

Started the morning with my old roomie Jeff in one of my favorite spots on Wister.....As daybreak broke, it was same routine.....No birds & no early shooting.....After 20 minutes or so a small bunch of gadwalls buzz by and I only sail one (brutal shooting).....Never found it....A little while later, Jeff gets a gadwall.....Jeff's dog finds it, but Trigger had run over there too, and wouldn't give up looking for it. So I told Jeff to just throw it on the dike and have Trigger bring it to me.....He does and I throw it into the sled.....2 hours later and no more birds, Jeff decides to head home and back to work.....I ask him if he wanted the lone gadwall....Sure....So, I pick it up out of the sled and noticed a little something on it's leg.....Hey, did you look at this bird?....Nope....You sure you want it.....lol.....Banded in Oregon.

Another hour goes by and I have a single bull 'Wall come in and I get it.....1st duck at Wister since the opener.....Another hour goes by and 3 bull sprig come in and then suddenly flare badly.....WTF?.....I look down the dike and here's a guy walking.....He yells, "you're in my spot".....Really.....He shows me his yellow card and sure enough it's the same spot.....Double booked after Jeff left.....No problem.....This hot spot is all yours.....lol

I had gotten a call from friend and duck club owner Jack.....He was going to the club, if I wanted to stop by.....Good decision, that I did.....5 greenheads, 1 Susie (result of a Scotchman's double).....Overall for the 3 of us, 12 greenheads, 5 susies, 1 widgeon, 1 pintail, 2 gadwalls (1 from Wister).....We were done at 4:00 pm.

ps....Wister did not suck for one SCH'er.....lol

.009.JPG 012.JPG 020.JPG 038.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Slayersmith
Damn! Heavy straps! Is that club pumping fresh water?

New water is pumped thru out the club on a weekly basis.....It's the great crop of jap millet that is attracting the birds.....The snows have completely eaten (millet) out the back half of the club.....So far, they haven't found the front.

Reactions: SpoonySmacker

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu