Wister update?

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey guys, wife got picked for Wister this sunday and I got a draw for next sunday. We have been out 2 times early in the season. The 1st and 3rd sunday. It was BAD. any one been down recently? are the geese showing up at all?

Thanks for any help.

Hey guys, wife got picked for Wister this sunday and I got a draw for next sunday. We have been out 2 times early in the season. The 1st and 3rd sunday. It was BAD. any one been down recently? are the geese showing up at all?

Thanks for any help.
Are you planning on hunting geese or ducks?

As you know, Sundays generally suck, but if I was a betting man I would be out there these next 2 sundays. Looking at the weather in the rest of the country I can't imagine the birds can stay up north much longer.

I don't think it got over 10 degrees here today in CO. With windchill we were well into the negetives.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have about 4 DOZ mixed duck decoys. So ill be going after duck But it would be awsome to have a goose drop in.

thanks for the info about CO.

Doug,

Geese don't normally just drop in.......Having at least a dozen snows in the right spot will at least give you a fighting chance on a Sunday......Ducks suck bad enough on Wednesday & Saturdays (unless you're on the X). So, Sundays are almost totally useless.

ps......Hunted yesterday from dark to dark for 3 widgeon (& only 3 shots) in historically great spots.

is there a place online that the DFW posts the harvest numbers like they have on the sheets at the check in station? Im debating again about next sunday at wister. we skipped it today and hunted deer yesterday and this morning. I want to get out but not if its really terrible. Ive been reading here and hearing from friends that live up north that the goose and ducks and flying very well. I keep hoping like everyone else that it gets better down this way.

Doug,

Just go.....And no, there's nothing on line about Wister (there is about San J).....You can call the office Monday & they'll give you the average.

Guys have learned to stay pretty tight lipped about Wister (& other places)......It's crowded enough as it is without splashing everything on the web.

ps......What ducks we're going to get are probably pretty much here......Check your local ponds......;)

Just go.....

Best advice you can get. If you base your decision to go hunting on other people's reports, you will never be the one writing them....

I would make a weekend out of it if you can. Sweat line it on Friday night and then hunt your ressie on Sunday if you think it is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thanks to both of you.
My issue is that i have limited time off and limited funds as well as a son the still has an a31 tag so i was just asking if its gotten any better or if i could look up the numbers reports online.

Id rather be out in a blind watching the sun rise then hiking all around the mountains all day at altitude trying to keep up with a 17year old that is training for the navy.

Reactions: marinediesel87
The weather is looking pretty good for this next weekend. Just in my short 2 year experience, when the wind blows and it's overcast the ducks fly a little more.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

The wind not only makes some ducks get off the sea, but it gives you a direction they will come in......Which IMO is one of the most important factors when a setting a spread in your particular site.

Calling for rain Thursday & Friday......Just hope it doesn't make it to Wister.......:D

I stand corrected about the numbers at Wister......Didn't realize they were that good either......:laughing:

They don't look quite as good on Wister's sheet when you see how many coots and ruddies are making up that duck total.

thanks to both of you.
My issue is that i have limited time off and limited funds as well as a son the still has an a31 tag so i was just asking if its gotten any better or if i could look up the numbers reports online.

Id rather be out in a blind watching the sun rise then hiking all around the mountains all day at altitude trying to keep up with a 17year old that is training for the navy.
lol I'm your opposite. I'd rather be hiking mountains all day trying to keep up.

Normally I would to but I've been working 16-20 hr shifts in 5 days to afford better hunting trips this year so I'm pretty beat. Also all of a sudden this year I managed to have issues with acute bronchitis that stops me in my tracks when it's cold at high altitudes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu