Wister W.A......6-16-23

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Took a drive out to the IV the last couple of days and stopped by Wister....... :blush:

A lot of work has been done and some areas will be unrecognizable come October....Although, this sounds scary, it will most certainly be for the better in the long run....A lot of mowing has been done and discing as well (the only way to rid the ponds of tules)....413 was being mowed and disced while I drove the area....It may be hard to hunt, but at least it will be huntable.....:sweat:

Food wise....There is some really good timothy and bulrush growth, especially in the south....There appeared to be some irrigation (114 closed zone)....This will help keep the snows on the area....Also, for you upland guys....Really good sunflowers and milo being grown in the fields close to Hwy 111....:sun:

There is some water on the area and local mallards appeared to have some good recruitment....I also saw quite a few thru out the valley....Lots of mourning and white-wing as well and it's only june....;)

There are areas that can be fine tuned, but overall, I thought the area looked great....You can tell the guys are working hard and the area will really shape up by duck season....:clap:

ps....The roof on the check station is bad....:worried:

Here's a few pix....

IMG_0965.JPGIMG_0968 - Copy.JPGIMG_0969 - Copy.JPGIMG_0970 - Copy.JPGIMG_0964.JPGIMG_0975 - Copy.JPGIMG_0976 - Copy.JPGIMG_0978 - Copy.JPGIMG_0972 - Copy.JPGIMG_0973 - Copy.JPG

Things really look promising . It's been a long time since we have seen this kind of effort. We've been thru some rough past seasons for sure. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu