woman shotgun instructor

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Ok guys i need help. My wife has been hunting for some time. she has been shooting her little 20g youth simi auto and love it. she usually shoots really well at the trap range and sporting clays. she kills it dove hunting as well. the problem? well its mostly in her head. she missed a bunch of easy shots this last weekend for pheasant. she is also wanting to get a "big girl" 12 guage. especially as we are getting into duck hunting. ive told her that a 20 is not really a big handycap....... blah blah blah. She really wants a woman shot gun teacher to at least meet with her once to help her with her stance, mounting...... blah blah blah. For the sake of our marriage im done trying to teach her. I can and have taught all kinds of strangers and family everything form tactical to hunting to long range but not my girl. so the question

any one know any women that are instructors? or at least very experienced shot gunners that can help?

We are in North LA county but will drive for a good instructor especially if its just once.
We have called oak tree and they do not have female instructors.

Re: woman shot gun instructor

My buddy couldn't kill a pheasant until he switched to 3" magnum buffered shells.......I told him 5 years ago to switch but it wasn't until this past weekend that he started using them and they made a huge difference.

Thanks I'll look into it. She gets really nervous for some reason. She is asking for a woman trainer to help with form so I'm looking into it for her.

Two things:

1) Punctuation kills! Shotgun is a single word, your title suggest that an instructor was shot...

2) I am far from expert but I find shotgunning to be a little bit of black magic. The more I think about it, the more I miss. Intuitive aim really does require a leap of faith. I shot great as a kid using intuitive aim. As an adult I started shooting again and couldn't break a clay to save my life. I tried aiming my shotgun like a rifle, with one eye closed, and starting hitting again. Then back in the field, for ducks and dove, aiming like a rifle caused me to miss almost every time. Tried intuitive aim again on a whim and now do pretty decent.

It sounds like your wife has a gun she likes: does well at the range. Missing the birds is mental or maybe from a different mode of shooting. Get her some more practice, try different techniques, try to keep it light and fun. Confidence might solve her problem.

If she kills at trap and dove, maybe she's right that she just needs a bigger load of pellets for bigger birds. Make her happy: get her the 12 gauge.

It's all about the Don't Think and just wait for the feel......clays are good but a good dove shoot gives you about every shot needed in the real world.......pheasants can freak people out and can throw you off your shot......just relax and go with a bigger swing before you pull the trigger. Pheasants fly straight and don't dive like dove so slow down and wait for the feel........don't think about

Sorry about the title my spell check runs wild some times on my phone. Plus typing on this little keyboard sucks some times.

Thanks for the encouragement for her. She is very comfortable with her current gun. It seams she may be tensing up and stressing then blaming the 20g for the miss. She is the one that wants to go to 12g but she has some form issues (bad habits) she would like to work out with an instructor. Plus she needs someone that understands the female form to help her mount the shoulder correctly. She just really needs some encouragement and pointers from another woman I think. But who knows I've only got 6 years studying psychology, from early childhood to adults and criminal. What the heck do I know.

GSPman said:
Sorry about the title my spell check runs wild some times on my phone. Plus typing on this little keyboard sucks some times.

Thanks for the encouragement for her. She is very comfortable with her current gun. It seams she may be tensing up and stressing then blaming the 20g for the miss. She is the one that wants to go to 12g but she has some form issues (bad habits) she would like to work out with an instructor. Plus she needs someone that understands the female form to help her mount the shoulder correctly. She just really needs some encouragement and pointers from another woman I think. But who knows I've only got 6 years studying psychology, from early childhood to adults and criminal. What the heck do I know.

Gsp,

I shoot competitively against a guy whose wife is an instructor. He is really good but I hear she is better than him. She instructs at triple b in Whittier . Ill get her info and send it to you when I can.

Stump

Really no reason to bump her up to a 12 as long as she's shooting good with the gun she's got......Many of us actually have swithched to the smaller gauges......Not so much for the challenge, but for the lightness and the ease of shooting.....They make 3" 20 gauge shells that are a 1/1/4 ounces.....Plenty to kill any pheasant.

Remember though, lead will be basically outlawed after this year for all things except, snipe, dove, and quail.

I recently bought a Franchi affinity Compact 12 guage for a young lady (5', 100 lber).....Smaller gun, fits her beautifully and you can still shoot the light 12's.....I'm sure she'd be very happy with this gun.....You know the sayings.....Happy wife, happy life...... ;)

GSP

Her name is Candice Fowler she is a good instructor. She works out of Triple B Clays in Whittier 626-579-5201.

Stump

switching to 3" shells shouldn't make a damn bit of difference. I've never shot 3" shells pheasant hunting and I've never had a problem. I can promise you the shells aren't the issue.

Get an instructor

Try the 20ga 3" buffered and see what happens.....tighter patterns and 31% more pellets is worth a look I know my buddy who has shot his 20ga more than 30 years is a believer after one weekend.

Best thing to do is get her out more on real pheasants......I've seen guys really improve after a few weeks in a row.....the pheasants are slow to get up so you really need to slow down your swing.

Thanks all. We spent some time on the range today with the old 20g. We spent a lot of time going back to the basics of shot gun mounting and pointing and we both worked on some bad habits we got from hunting and mounting fast with out thinking. She also spent some time behind my 12g synthetic o/u. The gun is too big but she finally understood it's the the power or range only the amount of pellets. However I did let her talk me into getting her a new compact 12g. After a failed attempt to buy an a300 we will be taking Sprigs advise and pick up a frachi compact affinity.

Thanks stump for the instructor. We will be giving her a call after she picks up her new gun in a few weeks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu