X zone buck

Shake N Bake

Nov 4, 2012
IMG_0016.PNG IMG_0006.PNG IMG_0007.PNG Man it's been a while since I've been on here but here it goes. My son Gunner drew an X9A rifle tag. We were unable to make opening day due to his travel ball and my Idaho elk hunt. He was a bit bummed but happy to know that we are would be hitting the hills when I returned from Idaho. 10 days into the season we are northbound 395 with smiles and anticipation of dropping the hammer on a good one. Had some solid info on a spot and we hit it hard for 2 days with no luck, just sore eyes from looking through the Swarovski 15's all day. We did turn up a tiny fork that he chose to pass saying, "I did not come up here to shoot him dad" like a seasoned hunter! Knowing I had to get him back to school I called a buddy who had seen some deer opening day, he pointed me in the right direction. The following morning we had our tripods up and threw the glass up. Picking apart canyon after canyon with only does. Thinking we were headed home with tag soup we checked one last draw and it was huge. I spotted a nice buck about a mile up hill and only got a glance before he was out of sight. Gunner and I took off running up that hill, we left my other boy behind the glass to get us in the general area. Sucking eggs going up that hill, my son Hunter, signals me that he has the buck in the glass. Hunter puts us in the right area and Gunner and I spot him at 398 yards up hill. After one well placed shot it was done! He was a proud little man and he loves the 300 Weatherby Mag I had built for him on this hunt.

Awesome report! I love that your son shoots a weatherby mag! either he is Ironman, or you have that thing dialed in, cuz that round kicks like a mule!

Reactions: Shake N Bake
that is rad.... that spot is under 300 feet of snow right now lol

Thanks for the kind words guys! I put a brake on that thing, changed the stock, trigger work, glass the bed and put the Vortex 6x24x50 Viper LR. Kicks little less than a 30-06 he lives it!

Was this his first buck ? Congrats to him ! How wide was the buck ?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu