Yotes in Lucerne Valley

CobPipeMan

Feb 5, 2015
Anybody hunt yotes out near Lucerne Valley/Apple Valley? How about out towards Victorville? Looks like a lot of BLM land out that way. Any tips or general area recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tip number one

You won't kill any by asking people go hunt it let us know how you do

X2. Find some high ground, back up against a tree or a rock, and let the calling commence.

Make sure you double check where you'll be hunting vs the shotgun zone. Pretty sure you're ok in Lucerne, but it does border the "shotgun only" land to the east (disregard if you were planning on shotgunning).

8SteelTown said:
Make sure you double check where you'll be hunting vs the shotgun zone. Pretty sure you're ok in Lucerne, but it does border the "shotgun only" land to the east (disregard if you were planning on shotgunning).

If you're using a shotgun don't you slugs

Yeah I just brought it back

Sdbirds said:
8SteelTown said:

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Sdbirds said:
Tip number one

You won't kill any by asking people go hunt it let us know how you do

Most likely will be heading out there Sunday. I found a huge area of BLM with very little private parcels, should be able to make multiple stands if necessary.

8SteelTown said:

Does anybody have a link to a map showing shotgun only zones for so cal?

Sdbirds said:
8SteelTown said:
Make sure you double check where you'll be hunting vs the kshotgun zone. Pretty sure you're ok in Lucerne, but it does border the "shotgun only" land to the east (disregard if you were planning on shotgunning).

I have 3in buckshot, but why no slugs?

CobPipeMan said:
Sdbirds said:
8SteelTown said:
Make sure you double check where you'll be hunting vs the kshotgun zone. Pretty sure you're ok in Lucerne, but it does border the "shotgun only" land to the east (disregard if you were planning on shotgunning).

I have 3in buckshot, but why no slugs?

Steeltown has a great story.

CobPipeMan said:
Cant wait to hear it

Let me just say that I've made some AWESOME shots with slugs. I can hit a piece of steal out to almost 250 yards with a slight holdover and no optics on my shotgun... that being said...

Incident #1 - Was at my buddy's uncle's house. He has a large parcel of land that has issues with coyotes jumping his fence and eating his dogs and chickens. We set up in a garage, 20 yards from the fence. Started calling and heard responses all over the place. Within a few minutes, I see a silhouette move across the back of the fence line and stop straight in front of me. I take the shot... the dog takes off. WTF!?!?! That dog should've been D.E.D. (dead). Turns out I loaded a slug second instead of first so it was the first to go into the chamber. The fence acted like a catcher's mit and caught the slug right where the 2 diamonds overlap. Pushed the fence out a good 3 inches and the dog got away.

Incident #2 - http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,7390.0.html

8SteelTown said:
CobPipeMan said:
Cant wait to hear it

Let me just say that I've made some AWESOME shots with slugs. I can hit a piece of steal out to almost 250 yards with a slight holdover and no optics on my shotgun... that being said...

Incident #1 - Was at my buddy's uncle's house. He has a large parcel of land that has issues with coyotes jumping his fence and eating his dogs and chickens. We set up in a garage, 20 yards from the fence. Started calling and heard responses all over the place. Within a few minutes, I see a silhouette move across the back of the fence line and stop straight in front of me. I take the shot... the dog takes off. WTF!?!?! That dog should've been D.E.D. (dead). Turns out I loaded a slug second instead of first so it was the first to go into the chamber. The fence acted like a catcher's mit and caught the slug right where the 2 diamonds overlap. Pushed the fence out a good 3 inches and the dog got away.

Incident #2 - http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,7390.0.html

Steel doesn't move

Neither does a dog that stops at 30 yards (until I blew it). My fault for having a set idea of how the shoot would go down. Lot of naysayers about distances a slug will travel out of a smooth bore. Just speaking to it. I've learned my lesson twice and my ego won't get in the way next time. Won't make the mistake again.

A friend has house there, the coyotes come out to this fence at night, you hear them and see glowing eyes...we had two dogs with us behind the fence may be they were looking for quick meal...

He is off the Dixie mine rd...

Yeah I know its an old thread...

The Coyotes out between Lucerne and Landers will come out of the hills at night and down towards the houses. I know that a lot of Residents in Johnson Valley like to feed the Coyotes. (I have a friend who lives on the south side or Hwy 247 and 4 of his neighbors feed them.)

We camped out in Johnson Valley over night and had 5 of them come within 40 yards of our camp site. I fired a slug at one and missed. He stood there and looked at me while the other 4 dogs climbed the rock pile next to our camp and they spent the next hour or so peeking at us.
What was interesting was shooting at them didnt phase them at all.

We had chicken cooking over the fire when they paid us a visit.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu