You win some, you lose some...

2dogs1name

May 10, 2015
Corona
www.youtube.com
Took a day off to go quail hunting in a new spot (for me, many of you know it) and was pleasantly surprised at the terrain...basically your PERFECT quail habitat. Water, wash, cover, food...I spent the first half of the morning scouting, making calls, etc...tons of deer and rabbit sign...but no quail.

That is, until I started to head back to the truck (1:30pm)...I walked the wash down the slope, so heading back I decided to walk the slope side...and bingo, my calling paid off with a loud response. I own two custom wood calls made by Jim Matthews, which work quite well for me. Unfortunately, I called almost the entire covey into an area that was too difficult for me to access (we've all been there).

So, being the only hunter for miles, I decided to take a shot at the bush tree they were under to get them to fly (no lectures please). There was only one way in which I could not get a shot (I only shoot at birds that I can retrieve), the other three ways were gold. Wouldn't you know it...they flew in that one area where no shot could be taken. Good news is, I know where they are, they seen to respond to my calls quite well, and there is a back entrance where I can get a good shot all four ways. See you Wednesday covey...

PS - On the drive out, after I'm all packed up, 4 Gambles (from another covey) run RIGHT in front of my truck...DAMN birds!

45b04f49a57dadab1ad573a936d3ce3a.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good Job getting out there, that's how it starts. try to bring a buddy next time, it will make it easier if each person circle both sides. when it's possible. birds are smart. Fly behind bushes and trees. and when they hit the ground, poof they are gone. but stay on them. when the covy is busted , then try to call them in sometimes it works.

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Scott,

If you hunt with a partner, be very careful......Quail fly low, most shots are snapped, and if your partner is going to the other side of a bush, he may move or run ahead......Happens all the time......It happened to my cousin and I.

ps.......Think Dick Chaney

pss.....The "brush shot" doesn't bother me too much, but rocks or sticks can accomplish the same thing.

Last edited:
Scott,

If you hunt with a partner, be very careful......Quail fly low, most shots are snapped, and if your partner is going to the other side of a bush, he may move or run ahead......Happens all the time......It happened to my cousin and I.

ps.......Think Dick Chaney

pss.....The "brush shot" doesn't bother me too much, but rocks or sticks can accomplish the same thing.

Dam Steve some bad luck there.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu