Young bowhunter's trophy buck now part of DFG investigation

Mergrath

Feb 3, 2012
Lakeside, CA
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/16/young-bowhunters-trophy-buck-now-part-dfg-investig/

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/17/young-escondido-bow-hunter-victim-selective-law-en/

Have you guys heard about this? Sad to see such a great moment become such a mess!!! WOW!!!!

Yep, we have been talking about this story under Big Game "Young Hunter"

A bunch of B.S.

Fire or not...if you hunt lawfully you have nothing to worry about. DFG is not above the law nor is the hunting community. Keep in mind a lawful citizen is a protected citizen. You are also innocent until proven guilty.

And yes DFG is on the site.

My friend shot an archery buck a couple years back. He wanted a picture taken with the warden and he specifically said not to post the picture on the only website that my friend has ever registered on! How would he have known this? :eek:

NBK said:
Fire or not...if you hunt lawfully you have nothing to worry about. DFG is not above the law nor is the hunting community. Keep in mind a lawful citizen is a protected citizen. You are also innocent until proven guilty.

I would like to believe that, but that is not always the case there are good cops and there are bad cops. Just like there are good GW and bad GW. I could only wish and pray that anyone who takes the oath would abid by it.

socalcowboy said:
NBK said:

I would like to believe that, but that is not always the case there are good cops and there are bad cops. Just like there are good GW and bad GW. I could only wish and pray that anyone who takes the oath would abid by it.
From what ive heard in the world of wildlife management its guilty until innocent i hope he gets his deer back if the deer is scored as a typical the buck will be as far as im aware San Diego's first pope and young entry but hey score isnt everything if he gets the deer back he will have quite the story to tell about it

Let's hope it works out. He has an animal of a lifetime for SoCa. Seems like a decent guy.

My sister-in-law in Ohio calls me today, and told me a guy she went to high school with has a son who shot a 5 x 12 in San Diego.
I told her, that sounds familiar, what's his name, she says " Josh Kettl".
So I told her the story. So its made it way to Ohio.
She said the same thing as me" Its too late to hunt that deer again, let the kid have his untainted moment, his record, and fame"

So, if someone is shooting their bow in the back yard, we are breaking the law, as well.....? ( firing a weapon within 150 of a house, barn, or dwelling).

After reading,watching and listening to the reports as well as asking questions, this will need to come down to a measurement of the distance of the structure from the "shooting site". Good law enforcement requires that the facts are investigated before charges are made. it's not easy to become a peace officer, the standards are high and honesty is foremost so I'll guess we'll see how well this was investigated.

I would say nothing will develope till after the new year,then Josh will have to appear on or before his date.Then he will have to plead not guilty to all charges,and they will give him his court date. That will give him some time to get his case together, and then it should get interesting. But I know this If he pleads guilty on any of his charges then he will not have a leagal right to possess that deer. And I know DFG will not budge on there charges. If he is guilty on any of the charges then its game over. He will never see that rack again and the meat will go to the wolf society in Julian. :'(

"No contest" basically means he is not admitting guilt but will not contest the violation. You aren't technically admitting guilt but you are allowing the court to administer the punishment.

Usually a "no contest" plea is done when there is no hope of fighting the charges......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu