Youth shotgun advice

CTR13

Jan 4, 2019
Hey all,

does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good starter gun for my 9yo boy? I started off with a winchester1300 youth in 20ga when I was 12 , but the stock and LOP is a little to big for him yet.

CZ makes some nice youth O/U or get a Turkish gun and hack it up.

One thing I noticed doing the youth events the overall weight of the gun is key lighter is better

Hey all,

does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good starter gun for my 9yo boy? I started off with a winchester1300 youth in 20ga when I was 12 , but the stock and LOP is a little to big for him yet.
Buy a new stock and cut it down, then when he's bigger put the old 1 back on or the youth mossberg 500 is a great little gun, she's killed a few birds with that thing.

I started with a couple mossberg 500s, I liked them both. A 410 when I was 12 and then I got a 20 gauge next year.

Hey there,
Been dealing with this with my daughter.. Already dealt with it for my son.. They grow quickly.
For my son, I started with a Stevens single shot 410.. light, short, easy to practice with - however the ammo is pricey at times and not the best for hunting in the hands of a kid
Then he grew into a Mossberg 500 Bantam model (shorter stock, longer fore end) in 20 ga.. much better for hunting.
My daughter just tried out a friend's Remington youth 20 ga (it is shorter and lighter than the Mossberg my son used) and the Mossberg my son used.. she didn't care for either due to recoil and upper body strength issues.. so she'll get to try out the 410 for hunting.
If you get him something that fits him now, be prepared to drop some dough as he'll outgrow a shotgun like he does shoes.

When I started my 12 year old grandson , it was with a 20 gauge ,shooting light loads. He had no issue, so I went with standard load. I always had him shooting at clay pigeons which distracts the shooter from the kick. When we are after game, he says he never even feels it when he shoots. If you have access to a .410, maybe try that out then go to 20.

I have used both the Mossy Bantam & Rem 870 for kids...The Rem 870 is far and away the stronger of the 2 guns...One thing is for sure...Get the 20 gauge...Steel ammo is still readily available...Where as steel .410 is not only almost impossible to find, but very inferior hunting wise...2 cents.

I have used both the Mossy Bantam & Rem 870 for kids...The Rem 870 is far and away the stronger of the 2 guns...One thing is for sure...Get the 20 gauge...Steel ammo is still readily available...Where as steel .410 is not only almost impossible to find, but very inferior hunting wise...2 cents.
Why do you like the 870 more than the 500?

The old 870 yes, much better guns, the new ones not so sure. MOSSBERG AMERICAN MADE.

Why do you like the 870 more than the 500

Hunter,

I’m not saying a youth Mossy isn’t an okay gun…They’re okay…The youth 870 is Just a more solid gun…We use 870’s at our JAKES event that are furnished by Esc. Fish & Game Assoc…They’ve probably been shot 1000’s of times… Still tight…REM Choke tubes are easy to get, accessories are available, and they can be made into a full size 20 gauge with different stock and interchangeable barrel…They May cost a little more than a Bantam though

Hunter,

I’m not saying a youth Mossy isn’t an okay gun…They’re okay…The youth 870 is Just a more solid gun…We use 870’s at our JAKES event that are furnished by Esc. Fish & Game Assoc…They’ve probably been shot 1000’s of times… Still tight…REM Choke tubes are easy to get, accessories are available, and they can be made into a full size 20 gauge with different stock and interchangeable barrel…They May cost a little more than a Bantam though
Ok, at first I wasn’t sure if you were talking about the youth models or the shotguns in general.

One thing I noticed is that the 500’s forend rattles while the 870 wingmaster’s forend doesn’t rattle, why is that?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu