Youth Shotgun Clinic & Pheasant shoot today

Where's that picture of your daughter freeking out over the poop & spurs...best face of the day....I was the guy telling you about aging the birds whole for a week or two.

And your daughter is a good shot......

I age mine uncleaned 1-2 weeks in the fridge roasted or grilled pull off at medium.......low slow heat is key.....indirect grilling the best way

Also don't forget the breast will cook quickly and the legs and thighs are just a little slower. Don't forget to remove the clear connective tissue on the outside of the breast meat......use a thin filet knife to get under the tissue......if you don't the tissue shrinks and sticks to the meat like glue and is chewy like leather

In that pie recipe I'd sub chicken broth with veg broth low salt.....pheasants have great flavor and the chicken stock steals that flavor in my opinion

Great stuff. Wish I could have been on hand. The photos are outstanding
Lol

Looks like so much fun, wish I wasn't working weekends so I can be out there to help out.

MJB said:
I age mine uncleaned 1-2 weeks in the fridge roasted or grilled pull off at medium.......low slow heat is key.....indirect grilling the best way

Also don't forget the breast will cook quickly and the legs and thighs are just a little slower. Don't forget to remove the clear connective tissue on the outside of the breast meat......use a thin filet knife to get under the tissue......if you don't the tissue shrinks and sticks to the meat like glue and is chewy like leather

In that pie recipe I'd sub chicken broth with veg broth low salt.....pheasants have great flavor and the chicken stock steals that flavor in my opinion

Yep I wanted to age them... but they were hers, not mine. She wanted one cleaned and to stuff the other, then she said she wanted them both cleaned! I'm a little obsessed with the idea of aging them, and the idea of doing so in the fridge sounds even better. Think I'll use this as an excuse to read more about it and then age the next ones I get like you suggested.

Thx for the idea to sub Veg broth for Chicken, and thank you VERY much for the info about the film over the meat. I know just what you're talking about now that you explained it. That's also the best case for ilovesprig's method of skinning them - you can kind of pull that membrane off along with the skin/feathers when you clean them how he did. I've always plucked my birds, which does nothing to take that film off.

I'm also thinking of cooking the meat in larger chunks (breasts, thighs deboned) before cutting them into the smaller cubes... the idea of browning small cubes of pheasant makes me kind of sweat thinking about how quickly they would overcook that way, especially baked 40 minutes more in a pie.

Fingers crossed this recipe works!

It's actually still there......like a boneless skinless chicken breast skin side has a clear layer attached to the meat. If you take a fork and poke that side you'll see the holes went thru a clear layer over the muscle. That's what you want to cut out for tender breast meat.

I love seeing everyone's pictures! It was a great event, minus the San Diego blizzard weather. I pretty much felt like I should have worn waders. My favorite quote of the day came from two young ladies who were probably 12 and 13, as they cleaned their birds, stated "We'd be awesome during the zombie apocalypse! We'd totally kick ass! I mean, look at us...we are way less grossed out than the boys! I mean, I am kinda grossed out but look at their faces" (as they pointed to the boys next to them). Then they finished their first bird and said, "Okay, gimme another bird, I just needed the first one to get over being grossed out. Now, I'm over it and pretty much a gut expert now". Hahaha... classic.

Thank you for everyone who volunteered, brought their kids out, and otherwise made this event super successful!

Attachments

• 997020_345620572308143_9205683098762798934_n.jpg
    997020_345620572308143_9205683098762798934_n.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 35
Our pheasant dinner from last night is up in the cooking section. Can't believe the flavor of the pie. So good, though to be honest it does slightly overwhelm that delicate pheasant taste. Very different from chicken of course, though I do feel the pie could be made with ANY meat, including lobster meat. LMK if you want more on that... you'd just use fish stock and fennel in place of the veg/chicken stock and carrots, but I'd be happy to post details. Perfect if you have leftover lobster or too much lobster and you need a different way to eat it, though honestly I've never EVER had lobster or crab survive in this house long enough to be leftovers. :D

I took the best of both the Pheasant Pie recipe posted above along with Ina Garten's Lobster Pot Pie but made as you would convert that to a chicken pot pie, and it was indeed amazing as a game bird pie. I'd even make this just the same but with beef/deer meat and beef broth for a savory meat pie!

I prefer to split up the recipe with lots of photos, but the site is not giving me control over where I put the pics. So you'll see the recipe and THEN the photos. xo

Sounds great.......You know all SCHer's are invited to the 22nd annual "Wildgame feed" and Super Bowl party........ :D

ps.........Maybe everyone should bring one of their specialties to the SCH banquet....... ;)

Suburban Adventuress said:
ilovesprig said:
Sounds great.......You know all SCHer's are invited to the 22nd annual "Wildgame feed" and Super Bowl party........ :D

ps.........Maybe everyone should bring one of their specialties to the SCH banquet....... ;)

Details on this banquet!?

The details will be coming pretty soon......... :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu