1/27 @ SJ, first time ducking

DirtHunter

Feb 11, 2019
Anahiem
Yes I know this is a week late but work has been kicking my @$$.
I got reservation #13 for January 27th, my buddy John who has hunted for over 30 years, had the decoys. He had not duck hunted in ten years so the decoys were over ten years old.
He also gave me a 15 year old pair of waders.
We got to SJ right before 3 am and John could not believe the amount of rigs there.
We went to wait for out number and it came pretty quickly. We were able to get blind "Y".
We got our wader on and went blindly into the night thinking we got lost.
We found the blind and setup our decoys. Some of them sank, some of the the plastic the weight was on broke. We got the decoys out and waited for first light.
Right before shooting time we had a deceit size duck land just past our spread.

When shooting time came, we had a couple dozen Coots hanging around our blind the early morning we had teal and bufflehead ducks go by,
My buddy got a Cinnamon Teal early then a Bufflehead.
about 30 minutes later three Cinnamon Teal buzzed us and I was able to get one.
My buddy got one more Bufflehead.

We waited and tried till about noon. We either couldn't hit them or nothing was flying by.

It was a blast and we plan to go back out next year.
20210127_065731.jpg
20210127_065737.jpg
20210127_065755.jpg20210127_071715.jpg20210127_071721.jpg
Johns ducks.jpg

Looks like a great hunt! One of those pintail decoys are the same one’s my dad used to have that now sit out in my grandma’s backyard.
BEFC088C-3479-4226-9E70-1D626EAD047F.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu