12/22 Wister - is this how it works?

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I drew a Wister hunt on 12/22 and this will be my first waterfowl hunt. I have been reading through the other posts to learn how it works. Just want to make sure I under stand the how choosing the site works.

From what I can gather show up at 3am, I have a reservation #51. So does that mean they call them in order and then you choose an area when my number is called or is my area already assigned based off my number?

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
This is the board...Andrew will call 1-10, 11-20, and down the line...Have an idea on where you want to go (pm me for historically good spots)...The tags come off as spots are taken...So you'll know if your spot is gone...Good luck

ps...This map is a few years hold and there are some changes...For instance, 413 A & B is now east & west.

.010.JPG

Also make sure you have a Type A in your possession for each member of your hunt party. Permit available at Big 5 , Turners, but not at the refuge.

Also make sure you have a Type A in your possession for each member of your hunt party. Permit available at Big 5 , Turners, but not at the refuge.

Actually at Wister, Frank sells them at the trailer....BUT!....I would not depend on that...Buy in advance.

ps...Sadly, this will be the last year for Sportsman Catering, if someone doesn't purchase the lease and inventory...Another tradition gone?

Reactions: chessie
This is the board...Andrew will call 1-10, 11-20, and down the line...Have an idea on where you want to go (pm me for historically good spots)...The tags come off as spots are taken...So you'll know if your spot is gone...Good luck

ps...This map is a few years hold and there are some changes...For instance, 413 A & B is now east & west.

.View attachment 42289

Awesome! Will shoot you a DM, sounds better than close my eyes and put a finger on the map. Still need to come by for the decoys, cant seem to get a day off, even when I get a day off they call me in. Told them today I wont be in on the 22nd and will be out of cell range so no calling me either.

Got any pics of what the blinds are like they have out there or what to expect when setting up?

Sporting goods a tough business, Amazon will take a loss as long as it takes to push you out of business now days. Better to create your own brand and sell it on Amazon than to compete with Amazon. At least the big names got out of firearms, should push more business to the local gun shops.

Awesome! Will shoot you a DM, sounds better than close my eyes and put a finger on the map. Still need to come by for the decoys, cant seem to get a day off, even when I get a day off they call me in. Told them today I wont be in on the 22nd and will be out of cell range so no calling me either.

Got any pics of what the blinds are like they have out there or what to expect when setting up?

Sporting goods a tough business, Amazon will take a loss as long as it takes to push you out of business now days. Better to create your own brand and sell it on Amazon than to compete with Amazon. At least the big names got out of firearms, should push more business to the local gun shops.

Jeremy,

There still here...Sites vary at Wister...By now, there's normally some remnant's of blinds that previous guys have made, but not always...Be prepared to buy or cut arrow weed.

.IMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_5537.JPGDSCF1128.JPG016.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Trapline, for the most part, Wister doesn't have premade blinds like you would see at San Jacinto or many of the Nor Cal refuges. You have to build your own with what is out there or bring out blind material with you. Arroweed is the material of choice. Frank sell bundles of it at the Sportman's Catering trailer or you can drive around & look for it. It mostly grows near drain canals. However, at this time of the year, many of the sites have blinds that others have built. They may need some freshening up but you can get by with adding just a bit more arroweed or some camo netting.

Hazard & Union Tracts have concrete pit blinds but adding arroweed to cover them up is highly suggested.

Thanks guys, helps alot! Those are the stakes I have heard about finding in the dark. The pics are great Steve, thanks for that, gives some great insight on what to expect and plan for.

To get into the Camping area the night before is there any type of reservation system to get a spot there. Probably going to head up the day before so dont have to leave the house at midnight and either get a camping area or rough it out on the nearby BLM land.

(Content removed because OP is a douche and I don’t want to help him)

Last edited:
New member here. i came from TOF, user “beretta”....

steve gave you great advice. Take his blind recommendations, take the Wister map, and look at the roads on google earth so you know where to go once you pick. There are two, sometimes three parallel roads that lead to each parking lot. Google earth will allow you to see which road leads to each lot. Follow that as well as the signs.

***important***
if none of the historically good spots are available, whatever you do, please DO NOT go up to the podium to pick your spot and say “I’ve never been here, where should I go?” ”Hows this blind?” “Hows that blind?” Andrew at the check station may or may Not have a recommendation, but the guy behind you whose put the work in season after season will be pissed if andrew happens to give away the next best blind to you that He was going to pick...it’s poor form.

if you’re out of options, see where the people before you have picked, and pick a spot close to it. If you happen across the X, good for you. If you pick a bad spot, that’s part of the game. Pay attention what’s shooting around you and plan accordingly next time. Or pack up and refill another spot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu