1st Coyote Hunt - ammo selection

JasonK

Feb 15, 2018
Hi all-

Going on my first predator hunt and would like to confirm that a .223/5.56 varmint AR15 w/ 24" barrel would be an okay gun to take. There wont be much hiking so it is not a big deal to lug that thing around. My other options are:

1. .308 remington 700
2. 12 ga slug

I figure the .223 is the best bet but I wanted to see what you all thought first. If that is the case, any ammo preference?

Lug around? My ar10 in 243 weighs 2x’s what that weighs. I take it everywhere.

Anyway I’d say yes it’s fine maybe even perfect gun and caliber inside effective range. I shoot 36g Barnes VG. In my 223 guns at yotes and smaller. Used to use 55g VG but they seamed to go right through on the bob cats I was using them on. This last weekend the son and I smacked 2 yotes coming in hot at 125 yards with the 36g VG. One spun around 2 times and hit the dirt. The other one rolled right up and that was it.

However if your going to be in the wide open shooting longer range that 308 would work well also.

Reactions: JasonK
Lug around? My ar10 in 243 weighs 2x’s what that weighs. I take it everywhere.

Anyway I’d say yes it’s fine maybe even perfect gun and caliber inside effective range. I shoot 36g Barnes VG. In my 223 guns at yotes and smaller. Used to use 55g VG but they seamed to go right through on the bob cats I was using them on. This last weekend the son and I smacked 2 yotes coming in hot at 125 yards with the 36g VG. One spun around 2 times and hit the dirt. The other one rolled right up and that was it.

However if your going to be in the wide open shooting longer range that 308 would work well also.

Great response! Very helpful..

I hope to not take it out further than 125 yds... I am not that great of a shot yet.

Also forgot to mention its a 223 heavy bull barrel... don't know if that changes your take on the weight at all... I personally wouldn't want to take that gun on a trip where there'd be much hiking that's for sure... But maybe I'm just a wuss... HAHA

Just giving you crap about the weight. Ive lugged all kinds of weapons around so an AR ain’t nothin. But when I see a guy walking by with a nice light tikka or other bolt gun a do get a little green eyed.

Take either rifle they will both work and the shotgun but don’t use slugs. Buy some dead coyote rounds don’t use slugs. It is always nice to have a shotgun and a rifle those little buggers come flying in to 10-30 yards more than you can imagine.
When I hunt with two guys there is always one guy with a rifle and one with a scatter gun.

Reactions: Gspman
yotes with shotgun i believe must use nonleaded ammo.
  • Phase 2 – Effective July 1, 2016, nonlead shot required when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe, and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs. In addition, nonlead shot required when using a shotgun to take resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds, and any wildlife for depredation purposes.

1. Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 High Densi...
this is what i use for the close range coyotes.

Last edited:
Sorry, see it's a bit of an older thread, but wanted to ask this question: Would a Waterfowl/Goose load (3" or better) of Steel shot (#1 or #2) work on a 'yote out to like 50yds?

Should definitely work on a Bobcat under 40yds, right?

Also what's a good lead-free for yotes in .223? I have a suspicions the first yote I ever shot that besides not the best shot placement since it was a jump shot rushed opportunity, I think perhaps the bullet didn't expand well. I *think* that one was a Barnes TSX? I've since purchase some penetrating frangibles from Dynamic Research and also the Controlled Chaos rounds from Lehigh. Haven't had the opportunity to try them yet though on yote or bobcat. Looking to change that soon.

NOTE: to use Heavier-than-Lead rounds, you need to make sure your choke is rated to be able to handle shooting those Heavier-than-Lead rounds such as the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote. Recently did the research on that. Many stock chokes that come from the manufacturer are only rated for steel shot. So make sure to check for that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu