2018 General Season Utah Hunt Success

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Utah turned out to be a pretty fun hunt for us this year. Spending 9 days in the unit prior to the hunt paid off in spades. While not a trophy unit, we made the best of it and shot some mature bucks.

We started scouting in August when it was over 100 degrees and when we hunted last week, we had mornings below freezing. Scouting in August, then September and one last time in October gave us the data we needed to help create success.

This was our first time in Utah. We have been applying for all species as well as the general hunts and the limited entry hunts for the past 12 years. So we definitely have some hunts coming in the future.

Below are the 3 bucks we Utah newbies took home. The biggest reward was watching my son get his buck.

And yes, the 6.5's did not disappoint. Good times!

Johnny1.jpeg20181020_170104.jpgJeffy.jpg

All great bucks. That last buck is a very good buck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NBK
Great work guys. You did everything right and it all paid off. Way to put the time in, make a plan, and then get it done. Congrats!

If not a Trophy unit. I think you guys pulled some of the best bucks that could be pulled out of that unit.
That is a proud dad moment for Johnny to take heck of a buck. Congrats

wow dude you guys got it done!!!!!

Thanks all. We really put effort into this hunt. We had never hunted Utah so we wanted to make sure our time on the ground was efficient and rich with usable data. Pretty much all it takes...

A couple more photos. One is of the three of us after we packed out camp and our animals back to the quads (miles on foot). The second is my spike camp (Jeff and Johnny were just above me. Flat ground on the mountain was a premium).

At the end of the day, anyone can shoot mature deer. The main factor in the equation is effort. Know your weapon, know your environment, know your biologist and know your limits. It is not how fast you get it done, just get it done.

Having a good team also helps. Jeff was relentless with his effort regarding e-scouting. It is the base map to start the program. I appreciate the hours he spent getting us data points to build on. While it was a mutual team effort, he went above and beyond what most folks would put forth. I learned more than expected from this experience. I am now a better hunter because of the team and Utah!

My son's eyes, legs and amazing humor were a hell of an asset too. It is hunting season. Life is good!
thegang.jpegmymountainhome.jpg

Last edited:
Well executed hunt. It's great when it works out. Thanks for the tips John.
E-scout pays off. And getter done.
We're these spots and stalk.
How far was the stalk.

Definitely spot and stock. Son's animal was first spotted at 1100 yards, Jeff's buck was spotted at over 600 - 700 yards and same for my buck. Closing the distance was part of the success as well as the fun. Johnny's buck and my buck were dispatched at 450 yards. Jeff's buck was killed at 550 yards. All of the rounds sent down range were efficiently placed. Good bullets are a key to success. Jeff sent a 7mm 150 Barnes TTSX and Johnny & I both launched 6.5 Berger 140 Elite Hunters to the intended destination.

No gimme shots. It was challenging from beginning to end.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu