2020 Bull Elk Success!

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
I apologize up front, this is a Larry long post.

I decided earlier this year to go with Travis Kruckenberg Outfitters for my first bull hunt after several DIY cow elk hunts. I was on the fence about using an outfitter, but now a week after being successful I am completely glad I made the choice.

My buddy and I got to the house we were staying at mid-day on Friday before the 1st season rifle opener to settle in and check the sights on our rifles. We each only needed 1 shot to verify that our guns were still ready to go. Later that night we split up to do some scouting and come up with a game plan for the opener. My guide and I glassed up 9 legal bulls that night on some private land that we did not have access to, but it was still a good sign.

The next morning, we hike to a ridge where we spot elk everywhere! Bulls were still rutting, with one bull bugling once a minute for 45 minutes straight. Everything about it was cool, except the bulls were hanging on some private land. All was good, it was amazing just watching all the elk. My guide (Travis) points out a half dozen elk with a legal bull in tow going to bed on some ground we can hunt. Late morning I spot a lone bull (big body, but too far to see rack size with just my 9’s) going up high. It was amazing watching a >700 lb translucent bull just disappear and reappear like a ghost.

We head back in for lunch and came up with a game plan that I would setup just outside were the half dozen elk went to bed trying to catch them going back for food at sunset. I got setup next to an old barb wired fence, under a couple of pinons with my rifle on my spartan precision bipod but with the Tricer GTP-RS legs. I had practiced with this combo a few times before my hunt, and could consistently shoot 1.5 MOA when using my backpack as a rear rest. I am extremely comfortably in this combo out to 300 yards.

After a bit, two mature doe with four yearlings come out and slowly work their way to me. I was happy with them there, because I could watch them and they would “signal” where the elk would be coming from. Watching doe kind of reminds me of watching a guard dog, they signal everything that is going on.

Sure enough, just after 630 pm, one of the doe freeze and intently stare at the pinon / junipers to my right about 100 yards from where I was sitting. So I look over and here comes two cows and a spike on a dead run. I immediately remember something my guide told me the day before, “this time of year, when you see some cows don’t give up. Instead get ready because more than likely a bull is following them”.

So I get my gun shouldered using my pack as a rear rest, anticipating, as the light is quickly fading. Two more cows quickly trotted out and time began to slow down. I see antlers emerge from the trees and my first thought was “this is the one, thank you God”. He trots out and I remember questioning, “is he to small?” as I got behind my scope to count points. With my cross hairs on him I remember my guide’s voice, “Don’t pass on a legal bull”. So I start counting “1…2…3…4”, when I said four I glide my cross hairs to the shoulder, take the safety off, and squeeze the trigger. Boom! He dropped like a sack of potatoes. The shot placement was a bit high, but still broke both front shoulders.

I think I was in shock, my guide came running over from the other side of the ridge where he was glassing up different elk. I remember not moving, sitting with my rifle shouldered anticipating the elk getting back up. Travis was so excited for me, I remember hearing him say “you just nailed a 6 point bull”. Giving me a fist bump. He had to convince me to put the gun down, that the elk was not going anywhere.

We walk over, the elk was still fighting a bit, coughing, struggling. I put one more round in him from 5 yards to speed up the process.

I have packed up cow elk on my back several times, but this was one of those rare occasions where you could get a four wheel drive vehicle to the elk. Somehow we were able to load it up whole and take it back to work on it. This bull was HEAVY!

There is so much more to this story, but I have already written a book above so those will need to wait for drinks sometime.

But fast forward a week, now I am home with 240 lbs of processed elk meat in my freezer.

A huge shout out for Travis Kruckenberg Outfitters, definitely recommend them to anyone who is considering one.

9805873D-3339-4FA7-A242-64E0871D62F7.png

439E211D-D9FC-439F-8B79-1D5A9521921A.jpeg9064FDD9-5037-495B-BA0C-4167A16F25EF.jpeg812672EF-C766-4216-B55C-3E398CA06184.jpeg4BB2A10B-F963-4648-869B-CB8145FCFAF9.jpeg0D33B82E-1A88-460C-A0FE-63F48DC91561.jpeg531D4EA0-92F6-42D2-9D15-984417B5C8A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nicely done! Like Lunpopper said, "Pretty nice to be able to load it up. Sure beats packin em."

What caliber and bullet did you use?

Reactions: JakeSCH
Nicely done! Like Lunpopper said, "Pretty nice to be able to load it up. Sure beats packin em."

What caliber and bullet did you use?

My Christensen Arms Mesa Ti in 300 WM, firing 181 gr hammers at 3150 FPS. All purchases at fine firearms!

Reactions: Morgan1776 and NBK
Nice work fellas..pulling up the truck never felt so good im sure...i like the ones where the truck is involved!! Great looking bulls.

very nice Jake. Now come to the NWTF meeting and share the story with us. Long time coming for you congrats.

Congrats to both of you! So awesome and such great meat. I’m itching to kill a bull I think next year maybe the year, who knows maybe this year I will pick up a third season otc tag in Colorado to go with my deer tag.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu