2022 4th Season Co Elk

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Went to Colorado for 4th season elk, not going to lie I really enjoyed hunting on Thanksgiving but missed the family a ton. Went with an outfitter who I enjoy hunting with, not going to lie having home cooked meals ready at the end of a long day hunting along with permission to cross some private makes a world of difference.

Day 1:
Saw about 600 head of elk on 4 different private ranches on opening day. Only saw a couple of cow elk and cow moose on public land

Day 2:
Thanksgiving morning, about 200 of those elk moved closer to public but decided to stay put. Checked out a new spot never been to before and within 5 minutes that bright glow of a bedded bull stood out like a sore thumb under a juniper. Ended up glassing up 3 bulls bedded at 500y with a cross canyon shot. The bulls were a 4x0, 4x3, and a 4x4. After going back and forth about 30 minutes I decided to pass on the bulls, hoping one of the larger bulls on private would make a mistake.

Day 3:
Private land elk made a move towards public and I got into position. Some cows and a 4x3 cross over, but we saw this large 6x5 walking over and stop within 30yards of the (non-fenced) boundary and bed down. Tried some cow calls, various things to encourage him to move but he was content. Definitely a mental battle but decided to do the right thing. Went back to the spot i glassed up the 3 bulls the day before and saw nothing in the evening

Day 4:
Elk were moving into this public basin. We wait until the thermals switch about 9 am with a plan to hike down right on top of them. Start hiking in on this two track and jokes on us, they came all the way to us and caught us off guard. My buddy with me was on his first elk hunt and so we fired at bulls at the same time. He spined a 4x4 and I apparently forgot out to shoot off-hand and made the large 6x5 into swiss cheese. Put one to far forward in the brisket, second one in the guts, missed my 3rd, and put a 4th just under his spine as a flesh wound. He took off down into the canyon and as I ran up I got onto a juniper, used a branch as a rest and finished him off with a double lung. My shooting turned into a sh!t show because I was not mentally ready to take a shot and started rushing when the big bull i was chasing just appeared in front of me at 150 yards.

Luckily we were able to get trucks up that two-track and load the 4x4 into the bed of the truck and the packout of my bull was steep but short. One of those hills that it feels like every step you make you slide down 2 more. Fun times!

Turned out the bull was a 6x7 with two tines broken off and as a 6x5 my green score was about 280 to 285 range. He may have even had a drop tine, but will never know. He had beautiful color and really really dark legs and neck...this guy will be going to @BOWUNTR

463D67C4-AA2C-440C-BA33-D90D1EDC44EF.jpeg47A397CF-433C-4FEF-942B-83B32C241AF1.jpeg5959C1EC-EC18-434E-AF3E-172EDED059E7.jpegF3402E5D-749C-4C5B-A4A7-E56DBA1471ED.jpegA762382F-500A-49DC-B6D5-09EABF6B1627.jpegA136EAC4-8FD8-4064-9C7D-80644AF3DB20.jpeg

Last edited:
Always keep shooting until they are down or you are empty. Nic going. It's hard not to get excited when the time comes. I was shaking like a whore in church. Or was it the 22 MPH hour wind.

• Haha
Reactions: sportyg and JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu