2022 Rabbit Season

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Alright where are all the bunny pics? We are a week into season and nothing yet?

I took boy #3 out for his first hunt tonight. Last few years this spot was loaded. We only saw 3 jacks and 2 cotton’s. Couldn’t get him set up in time. So he can only go up from here.

Definitely a sign of the drought in my opinion. What are you thoughts? What are you guys seeing?

Drew,

I've been on travel so I haven't gotten out yet but, if it's anything like last year I'm not very optimistic. I have an idea where you're hunting - that area used to be loaded and I'd limit out quickly. But last year I never shot a single rabbit out there and hardly saw any.. super weird. I think it's a combination of things like the drought, maybe that rabbit virus, over hunting of spots, and brush overgrowth. At some of my other spots where I've also done well but no longer do, the bunnies I think are there but can't see them since it's so overgrown. I can hear them scurrying around but can't get a shot even with a shotgun. But my daughter just got her first license this season so I do plan on taking her out for her first hunt.. can't beat the field time either way.

Heck!! Until a couple of years ago I had rabbits on my backyard, on the fields behind by property and even on the front lawn and the streets of my neighborhood… not anymore…

Reactions: TRICER
He's a killer..bunnies beware!! If he's anything like his big bros he'll be dropping them soon enough. Way to get him in the field Drew. Rabbit don't open up here in Idaho until end of Aug and Chukar in mid Sept..I should be chasing spikes and bulls by then with my bow. Might have a .22 in camp in case some bunnies are around to fill the pot.

He's a killer..bunnies beware!! If he's anything like his big bros he'll be dropping them soon enough. Way to get him in the field Drew. Rabbit don't open up here in Idaho until end of Aug and Chukar in mid Sept..I should be chasing spikes and bulls by then with my bow. Might have a .22 in camp in case some bunnies are around to fill the pot.
Dude up there we saw so many grouse. Have some blunt tips for you now for sure. Or carry a revolver with bird shot. you will shoot so many of those chickens.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Drew,

I've been on travel so I haven't gotten out yet but, if it's anything like last year I'm not very optimistic. I have an idea where you're hunting - that area used to be loaded and I'd limit out quickly. But last year I never shot a single rabbit out there and hardly saw any.. super weird. I think it's a combination of things like the drought, maybe that rabbit virus, over hunting of spots, and brush overgrowth. At some of my other spots where I've also done well but no longer do, the bunnies I think are there but can't see them since it's so overgrown. I can hear them scurrying around but can't get a shot even with a shotgun. But my daughter just got her first license this season so I do plan on taking her out for her first hunt.. can't beat the field time either way.
I was wondering where your rabbit post was.
Let me know if you want to head out with the kids. I have another spot a little further past this spot that has been my honey hole. It’s a fun evening hunt with the kids.

I did see a lot of deer sign and we bumped one doe. There is a drinker in there so that could be sustaining the deer.

Drew,

Some places still had a lot, but overall, way down...Still managed a limit 2nd time out...Never saw one on MCC.

ps...Cool 1022.... :blush:

Good to know. I will tell Isaac because he was busting my balls that I need an MCC membership for the rabbits last night.

They are a little stinky, kind of like turkeys but more tender & dumb as dirt, little hot sauce all good for the finicky ones.
Camp meat is real!!!

Reactions: Smokey58 and TRICER
We take rabbit, quail, dove, chukar, squirrel, mix them all together and make a stew. Mt. Quail are too good for stew.

Out here in the desert it is just too hot to hunt them right now, they are around though. Have seen them in the neighborhood.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu