26" vs 28" barrel?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
The ol' question. Looking at new shotties and I always have had 26" barrels. I know/heard that the ballistics don't matter, that it's more a function of what you're comfortable swinging. I also run aftermarket extended chokes if that matters. What say you, 26" or 28" barrel? Mostly used for ducks and doves, but also the occasional upland hunt.

Jason,

Without question....The best barrel length is 26" in autos and most pumps....The swing ability, point ability, and the compact feel is where it's at....The sight plain is more important in the clays game, but in the hunting game....It's what I stated before.

ps....What feels best to YOU....Is what's best........;)

Last edited:
28 is just too long. Your swing will be slow and as @HATCHET1 knows missing a dove could cost your life.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Jason
My Remington has a 30 inch barrel and shot it for years,it seems you can reach out and touch things a little better,and never had a problem with swing. It shot quail pretty well. Love to shoot dove and that's. what it did real well. My new benelli has 28, not sure if it reaches out quite as far. Swing doesn't seem to affect, maybe that's just what I'm used to.
IMO

Jason
My Remington has a 30 inch barrel and shot it for years,it seems you can reach out and touch things a little better,and never had a problem with swing. It shot quail pretty well. Love to shoot dove and that's. what it did real well. My new benelli has 28, not sure if it reaches out quite as far. Swing doesn't seem to affect, maybe that's just what I'm used to.
IMO
Agreed. It basically go's down to.
Is preference..
From my research
Longer more accurate. But slower swing. A little heavier.
Shorter faster swing a little less accurate.
You pick bro. Which feels better.lol

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Longer simply gives you a longer sight line down the barrel and can help your follow through. The velocity and patern are not affected. A 21" upland barrel tosses the same string a 30" barrel does with the same pattern.

A short barrel will expose bad form. A long barrel will hurt your ability to snap and swing on fast targets. The balance point is 26"!! short enough to swing fast and long enough to not expose poor form.

Longer simply gives you a longer sight line down the barrel and can help your follow through. The velocity and patern are not affected. A 21" upland barrel tosses the same string a 30" barrel does with the same pattern.

A short barrel will expose bad form. A long barrel will hurt your ability to snap and swing on fast targets. The balance point is 26"!! short enough to swing fast and long enough to not expose poor form.
Disagree with that, a 30" barrel will hold pattern tighter at longer distance.

Reactions: BIGCIM
Done deal now.. went 26" on the SBE3. In jail 'til the 26th...
Jason been shooting mine lately, and live that thing 28 " barrel though. I think it just comes down to preference. 10 sleep less nights. THANKS CAMIFORNIA

Disagree with that, a 30" barrel will hold pattern tighter at longer distance.

I will have to dig up the articles. This dead horse has been beaten for years.

Your thought seems to only apply to old shotgun loads. Modern loads have the same performance down range regardless of the barrel length. It is possible that you have data that contradicts this though.

Reactions: MAG 1
Well as long as you personally are happy with what you got. I have an 18" and 28" and 30 "
I love them all. Each has its purpose.. the longer barrel helps me aim better. Yet I am fairly quick on the swing. I killed lots of dove..
Did I miss some sure.. but it was loads of fun.. be Happy..:)

One gun I've always wanted is the 870 Special Field model, which has a 21" barrel I believe.. made for snap points on fast moving quail. Much different than those long swinging barrel lengths I imagine.

Well as long as you personally are happy with what you got. I have an 18" and 28" and 30 "
I love them all. Each has its purpose.. the longer barrel helps me aim better. Yet I am fairly quick on the swing. I killed lots of dove..
Did I miss some sure.. but it was loads of fun.. be Happy..:)
I need to borrow that 18 to shoot something.;)

Reactions: longbowhunter2
One gun I've always wanted is the 870 Special Field model, which has a 21" barrel I believe.. made for snap points on fast moving quail. Much different than those long swinging barrel lengths I imagine.

I had both the Rem 1100 and the 870 in the Upland Special....Killed lots of chukar & pheasant with them.

ps....Jason....Fine choice in that SBE lll….Jacob loves his.

.Bosco and IV 1992.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu