270-7LRM wildcat

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Howdy fellas, I have been considering a 270 wildcat. I want to shoot the 170 bergers @3000 FPS+. I was thinking about necking down the 7LRM. What are your thoughts? (I have a magnum boldface long action) with no home. PS. I have plenty of 7mm’s already

Last edited:
take this with a grain of salt as i am super down with the "no good reason but i want to" reloading club

seems like a lot of work to neck down brass when you could shoot the 175gr 7mm bullets with the same BC more or less. But sure why not its overbore but since when did that stop anyone. 3k should be no problem just make sure you spin them fast enough. Also make sure you get enough freebore the 170gr 270's are long and will stick a long ways out.

7mm SAUM would be fun and get you more velocity than you are looking for. With the long action you can load the longer bullets no problem.

I currently have a 7rem mag and a 28 nosler that’s shoots .3 Moa. So 7 mm is well covered. Just kinda want a 270 ya know

Reactions: TRICER
as long as we are spending your money. how about a 270-26 nosler or28? you already have the brass. I Know the LRM guys were bitching about their brass being not so great a while back.... i am super down with making wildcats. i currently do not own a Non wildcat rifle besides my 10-22.

btw 16th of dec @TaftHunter is having a shoot up in taft calif. its a super fun shoot from 400 to 1780 yards with the main range going from 400 to 1200 yards.

Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! ! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! ! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! ! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! ! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do It! Do it! Do it! Do it!

as long as we are spending your money. how about a 270-26 nosler or28? you already have the brass. I Know the LRM guys were bitching about their brass being not so great a while back.... i am super down with making wildcats. i currently do not own a Non wildcat rifle besides my 10-22.

btw 16th of dec @TaftHunter is having a shoot up in taft calif. its a super fun shoot from 400 to 1780 yards with the main range going from 400 to 1200 yards.
So I have considered using the 28 nosler brass. I can easily reach 3200 maybe 3300fps and I can just slow the old girl down to save the barrel if I want. Just throwing I ideas around.

If you have the curiosity and time why not ? Not sure you will gain much and I will counter that with my favorite western cartridge of all time is the 7mm Rem mag with 160's for reaching out long and far (good bullets available). Temper that and I think what will it take is a quality rifle to make that happen. I would look at the 175's for extreme distance with the 7. The 7mm is a great choice for a one gun quiver

Thanks, but again I have several 7mm’s. A rem mag and a 28 nosler. No one really uses the .277 and I would like something different.

The Berger 170 Elite Outer Limits bullet has a BC (G1) of 0.662. By weight, that is some slippery bullet. I think it would slay game at distance built with the right components.

Chris, sounds like a fun gun to spec. Have you had any conversations with tooling guys regarding the reamer?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Nothing yet on a reamer. Been looking around to see what other wild cats are around for the 277. But it seems like a nitch that needs to be filled. Found some really fast 270’s. 3400+ but thats to fast for what I want. The goal is 3000-3200 FPS, I think the 7lrm will accomplish just that. I know brass isn’t the best but I can work with that. Any recommendations on what tooling companies are out there. I have never had a reamer built

Continuing to go back and forth on what parent cartridge to use... now I’m thinking 28 nosler again. Ugh lol

Necking down the 30 Nosler would be better. It will allow you to seat the bullet out further.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu