280 Ackley Improved

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So I just got my new 260 build back from FFA and I love it. Hopefully I will have some groups up on here for you guys by mid January.

I now have my old 260 Tikka that I want to put a build on for my elk gun. What are your thoughts on the 280 Ackley Improved? If I go with my current .473 bolt face all I would need to do is re-barrel and put a new stock on the gun. Tikka only uses a long action so I wouldn't need to modify the bolt or action at all for the 280AI.
Originally I was planning on going 7mm Rem Mag or 300wsm but the 280 AI seems like a pretty awesome cartridge. It falls right in there with the 7mm RM and uses less powder. The only thing I don't like is the lack of available ammunition. I hand load but if something goes wrong like I forget my ammo there will be no stopping by wal-mart to grab a box.

I will be loading bullets for this in the 160-180g range. I like the ballistics of the 7mm vs the 30 calibers.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have one?

It's a beast! Nosler makes factory ammo. It is likely my next build. An elk and moose slayer!

Reactions: TRICER
It's a beast! Nosler makes factory ammo. It is likely my next build. An elk and moose slayer!
Does FFA have the reamer? If not let me know and we can split the rental. I am thinking the same barrel that I have on my 260 or possibly a PR. A lot of companies including PR are making the Tikka Barrels plug and play now but not in 280 AI I would just need to get it chambered.
The 169 hammers would be a great bullet. Probably can get around 2,900+ out of them.

I have a problem.....

Does FFA have the reamer? If not let me know and we can split the rental. I am thinking the same barrel that I have on my 260 or possibly a PR. A lot of companies including PR are making the Tikka Barrels plug and play now but not in 280 AI I would just need to get it chambered.
The 169 hammers would be a great bullet. Probably can get around 2,900+ out of them.

I have a problem.....

Fine Firearms has the reamer. Best to order a barrel blank. Don't by anything prefit etc.

Drew, text me some pictures of the new rifle. I need some inspiration for a rifle! FYI, you don't have a problem. You have an "hobby" that we don't elaborate on $........

Drew, text me some pictures of the new rifle. I need some inspiration for a rifle! FYI, you don't have a problem. You have an "hobby" that we don't elaborate on $........
My phone won’t text pictures I have no service up in Pine Valley where we are living while the house gets remodeled from the flood. The gun is everything and more than I wanted. It is going to be an awesome rifle in the field.
I got to shoot some of my old loads through it and it was incredible. FFA is adjusting the trigger down to 2lbs now. I won’t have time to work up a load for it until January but I expect nothing less than 1/4MOA.

FB8126FA-59B9-4FA5-8B9B-EF52905ED236.jpeg

Reactions: Morgan1776
does anyone ever really forget their ammo and have to run to walmart to get some?

The 280 AI is not even a wildcat anymore with brass and ammo available

You should have no trouble winning second place in the sch cup

does anyone ever really forget their ammo and have to run to walmart to get some?

The 280 AI is not even a wildcat anymore with brass and ammo available

You should have no trouble winning second place in the sch cup
It will be 260 REM for me in the cup this year. Did we lock in the dates? February right?

No, has to be after Feb 23. That's when my duck season ends

And my 6mm dasher will be done.... You think the saum was accurate..... Evil laugh

My phone won’t text pictures I have no service up in Pine Valley where we are living while the house gets remodeled from the flood. The gun is everything and more than I wanted. It is going to be an awesome rifle in the field.
I got to shoot some of my old loads through it and it was incredible. FFA is adjusting the trigger down to 2lbs now. I won’t have time to work up a load for it until January but I expect nothing less than 1/4MOA.

View attachment 42383
Drew is that a southpaw bolt action?

That's not a bad group at 1k Yards even if they are keyholing

Reactions: Lungpopper
Yup my kids are screwed they all shoot right so hopefully one of the grandkids someday is left handed.

Right on! I'm a lefty myself..been shooting my buddies right handed bolt action until I can get me a left handed one. My other guns are right handed as well..figured I should at least get a left handed bolt action for smoother reloading in case I have to take multiple shots.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu