280AI Final Load with 169 Hammers

What an absolute hammer! What scope are you using for load development?

Reactions: NBK
Thanks Chris, I went back to the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44. It is my go to for reliability.

The 280 Ackley final load is ready for the season.

169 Hammer Hunters

Velocity = 3062

SD = 3.0

ES = 6

3 shot group @ 300 yards = .566"

View attachment 46326View attachment 46327View attachment 46328
So @NBK im studying your graph and velocity numbers... clearly your node is @61.1 no question you found the proper powder charge! But I was thinking...would I have found that load doing my typical 10 rd Saterlee load development. I submit it may not have shown up. I think your 5 rds at each powder charge is still a superior method of load development. Kudos to your method

Thanks Chris. I have been using this method for years now. I have gone away from the ladder test and have trusted the SD & ES values as they have proven to be what's needed for longer range accuracy with my rifles. I use 3 shot groups in .3 grain increments. With an accurate hunting rifle, I don't see the need for five shot work-ups. If I were shooting PRS matches etc, I would change my method slightly.

Quite impressive! I just realized that was 0.566 at 300y!! And I was happy with my sub 3" groups at 500y. RL26 does produce impressive ES / SD #'s in my 6.5 PRC as well.

Taking down notes!
:writing-smiley:

RL26 is outstanding in my 22creed and 25x284, once the temps start to climb I get random velocities. Just keep that in mind on hot days. I since went to H4350 in my 22, shoots just as good, just better temp stability for those hot days.

RL26 is outstanding in my 22creed and 25x284, once the temps start to climb I get random velocities. Just keep that in mind on hot days. I since went to H4350 in my 22, shoots just as good, just better temp stability for those hot days.

Yeah I noticed ES / SD creep on hot days. But as of now I shoot to hunt, so if my ES goes from 10 to 25 sub 600y I am not to worried.

I've been reading on the hammer forums a guy who says that a light crimp plus being >70 thou off lands all but removes temp instability issues. I am going to mess around in the "off-season".

BTW, I am completely impressed with how the hammer bullet performed on my elk.

I’m haven’t used the hammers but as a mono bullet they must be long how far off the lands are they. Is your chamber standard? Do you have to single shot them or do you have a modified mag? I’ve been messing around with the 140 Etips on mine and just found some low SD and ES at 61 grains with RL 19 And am messing with length to get accuracy.

I’m haven’t used the hammers but as a mono bullet they must be long how far off the lands are they. Is your chamber standard? Do you have to single shot them or do you have a modified mag? I’ve been messing around with the 140 Etips on mine and just found some low SD and ES at 61 grains with RL 19 And am messing with length to get accuracy.

Hammers aren't as sensetive to seating depths like Barnes and the rest of the monolithic bullets. The rifle was throated for the 169. As far as magazines. The standard Remington magazine has another 1/4" of room in the box.

I am curious to see how the RL 19 works out for you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu