280AI load workup

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Have been playing around with some loads in the new 280AI build. Definitely making positive progress. The gun is accurate, the 169 Hammer Hunters bullets are accurate and the RL26 powder seems predictable. I have worked up to 61.7 grains in the mid to higher 3000's fps with still no sign of pressure. Next week we will incrementally go up another grain of powder (will be in the 3100 fps zone).

Right now 61.1 is looking good. Hovering around .25" 3 shot cold bore group. More work to do but I am sure that load can be tuned below .25". The SD is pretty good too!

Load Data1.jpegLoad Data2.jpeg20200726_153310.jpg

That’s awesome John! 61.7 is where my node is supposed to be. That thing is gonna bring the too pain to whatever it comes in contact with. I think you are onto something.

I was able to work the load up to 62.4 grns @ 3105 fps which I thought was amazing. Definitely duking it out with the 7 Rem mag with far less powder. Never got the numbers I was hoping for and pressure reared its head with flattened primers and slight ejector marks.

I am going to shoot 61.1 grains @ 3064 and verify consistency - then off to test at longer distances. Pretty stoked.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu