30 Nosler Rebarrel

Liddy

Feb 27, 2021
Norco, Ca
As the title says, I am looking to rebarrel a rifle to 30 Nosler. It has been suggested that I look at the 30 Nosler JP reamer that is used at Fine Firearms, does anybody have an idea what freebore this reamer is? I am looking for a custom reamer with a .225fb

Liddy

Jonathan at FF built my 30N. I don’t know much about the reamer.
What I can tell you is that I’m shooting a 215 Berger at 3090 FPS (Proof Barrel)
Gun was built in 17 with around 350 down the pipe. Last group was in the .4’s
It hits Elk like the hammer of Thor.

Reactions: TRICER
Jonathan at FF built my 30N. I don’t know much about the reamer.
What I can tell you is that I’m shooting a 215 Berger at 3090 FPS (Proof Barrel)
Gun was built in 17 with around 350 down the pipe. Last group was in the .4’s
It hits Elk like the hammer of Thor.
That's good info on the muzzle velocity as that's right where I want to be, I am hoping to find a node between 3050-3100 fps with the Berger .30 215 Hybrids in a 30 Nosler. I have been carrying around a 300 RUM with a 27" Brux Rem/Varm contour at almost 12 lbs sending the 215's at 3085 fps for the last three years . I sure would like to shave off a couple of pounds and not sacrific the efficiency of the 215's in the 3050-3100 node.
I plan on running a 26" Proof CF 1-9tw barrel in the properly throated 30 NOS and by all accounts the .225fb reamers using VV N570 and ADG brass seem to get you there without running them on the ragged edge.

Liddy

go ask.... i am sure they know what FB their reamer is and if its short do not be scared of the unithroater.

i am a big fan of loading a dummy round and sending it so no mistakes are made.

My barrel is 26”. Burning Retumbo. The complete gun with a 4.5x18 LRHSi weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces
Nice, I can handle 9 1/2 lbs all day long.I am thinking of ditching my 5-30X56 Huskamaw and topping the 30 NOS with either a Zeiss 5-30X50 or a NF NX8 4-32X50, this should shave a bit off also as the Huskamaw's are not light either (35 oz).

Liddy

Last edited:
The JP Reamer is built around the 215 Berger Hybrid. No throating needed. The bullets base is seated to the bottom of the shoulder. Max OAL is 3.573" and max ogive OAL is 2.795".

Because the Berger 220 Hybrid Long Range has been optimized and is about the same size as the 215, the 30 Nosler JP handles it quite well . 3020FPS is achieved with no pressure in ADG brass out of a 9 twist Brux barrel. Both bullets shoot in the low 2's in my rifle if I am shooting well..

Screenshot_20210303-210418_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The JP Reamer is built around the 215 Berger Hybrid. No throating needed. The bullets base is seated to the bottom of the shoulder. Max OAL is 3.573" and max ogive OAL is 2.795".

Because the Berger 220 Hybrid Long Range has been optimized and is about the same size as the 215, the 30 Nosler JP handles it quite well . 3020FPS is achieved with no pressure in ADG brass out of a 9 twist Brux barrel. Both bullets shoot in the low 2's in my rifle if I am shooting well..

View attachment 48164
Nice, you guys sure have got under my skin with a 30 Nosler JP itch. Might have to scratch it pretty quick.

Liddy

Everyone else above me knows a lot more than I do, but I would go with a 1-8" twist to shoot those 214 Hammers.

Nice, you guys sure have got under my skin with a 30 Nosler JP itch. Might have to scratch it pretty quick.

Liddy
@Liddy word on the street is you had a conversation with the folks at JGS Tools about the JP reamer. Do tell...

@Liddy word on the street is you had a conversation with the folks at JGS Tools about the JP reamer. Do tell...
AHH, word travels quickly in this arena. Just doing a little research to see what I am going to use to scratch my itch. BTW, really good meeting you last week. Love your passion, hope I can learn a few things from you and others on this site!! Talk to you soon.

Liddy

"Go Padres"!!

Reactions: NBK
I necked up a 28N to 30 cal so I can use my old 28 dies. It’s throated long and I load the 230 Bergers. My velocity sits around 2965. It will run the 215 at the 3050 node with ease

Reactions: Liddy
30 Nosler Rebarrel complete, chamber cut with a .225fb. Load development to follow. Came in just over 9.25 lbs, I can work with this. Looking to shoot the Berger 215 Hybrids at 3,050-3,100fps, several of the others cut with the same reamer are getting great accuracy at the 3,100 FPS node with VV N570, this is yet to be determined for this rifle!

- Defiance Rebel
- McMillan Gamehunter CF with hydro dip
- 26” Proof CF Sendero contour, 1-9tw
- Hawkins BDL bottom metal
- Piercision three port muzzle brake
- Trigeer Tech special set at 2 lbs
- Hawkins Hybrid 25 MOA one piece rings
- Zeiss V6 5-30X50

Liddy
33317339-125E-4525-9FD0-4823E6BA4C61.jpeg

FB68658B-7795-4B13-B2EC-7C93F13FF1CC.jpeg
B78B5E98-8EB1-4268-A74D-D51DC832913A.jpeg
979FF973-F380-48BD-A5AE-219F4010E8CB.jpeg

That is one beautiful rifle. Lots of guys in MT think the 30 Nos is about as good as it comes for long range elk. Do you plan to hunt with your rifle or is it primarily a long range target rifle? Eager to see how your best custom loads perform. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Liddy
That is one beautiful rifle. Lots of guys in MT think the 30 Nos is about as good as it comes for long range elk. Do you plan to hunt with your rifle or is it primarily a long range target rifle? Eager to see how your best custom loads perform. Keep us posted.
Hunting rifle for sure, almost seems too good looking to hunt with but it’s about to get thrown around in the field anyway.

Liddy

How does the hydro dip hold up? Additionally who did it? Utah hydrographics?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu